Annabeth

Annabeth was always afraid to be too optimistic, but what were the odds three great prophecies involved her? And for that reason, she was able to relax more than she had since, well, since the last great prophecy ended.

The doctors in New Rome said she broke three ribs and needed a bunch of stitches, but a couple of days in the infirmary weren't too bad. Especially because Percy never left her side.

Jason's funeral was a mixed affair, the Romans grieved their leader and the Greeks didn't care. Annabeth did feel bad for Piper, Leo, Thalia, and Reyna, she knew how badly it hurt to lose a friend. But Annabeth didn't miss Jason, nor did she plan to. His death could have been avoided, should have been avoided. Reyna must have known it too because she was the one who made the first step.

A hope for future peace, she had called the program. An exchange between the camps. Games, quests, friendly competitions, ways to bring us all closer.

It was a good idea, and Annabeth hoped it worked.

After the fight, Hazel found Grover in a mound of rubble with two broken legs and other various injuries, but he was given a room next to Annabeth and the two of them healed together.

A light tap at her door stopped her train of thought.

"Come in?"

Percy nudged the door open with his foot, then poked his head around, hair vaguely disheveled. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah." Annabeth glanced around one last time. She had nothing take with her besides her dagger and new sword Reyna gave her. "Let's get away from this place."

Percy took her hand and led her through the hallways out into the blinding sunlight. New Rome was a mess, buildings sat ripped apart, various chunks of earth and rock were strewn across the city, and the gardens were utterly destroyed. Like Reyna predicted, Gaea decimated New Rome.

A small group of people stood waiting for them by the truck that would take them back to New York. She and Percy planned to go back to camp and eventually finish high school there.

Grover hopped out of the driver's side and slammed the door. "Took you long enough!"

"Yeah, yeah," Percy said. "I could say the same to you. How long were you wandering in the California desert?"

"Why, did you miss me?"

Annabeth rolled her eyes and walked over to Leo and Piper. "What's the plan for you two?"

Piper and Leo exchanged a glance. "We can't go back to camp," Piper said softly. "Not without Jason." At the funeral, they barely said a word. Just watched the sparks glow against the purple sky.

Leo cleared his throat. "To us he was never- I mean he wasn't this great Roman hero. He was just Jason. Just our friend who was as lost as we were."

"I know," Annabeth said. "I'm sorry." And she was. Piper and Leo didn't deserve this

"So anyway," Piper said, "I'm going back to my dad in LA. There's a new school and- and I'm going to try to make it work."

Annabeth accepted Piper's hug. "Leo?"

He smiled awkwardly. "I actually think I'm gonna stay here for a bit. I have a warship to dismantle and the forges here are sweet. And, well, I've been talking to Jason's foster parents and they want me to try moving in with them. Just for the summer," he added quickly. "But I'll see from there. I've been running for a long time, I think I could use a home."

Annabeth grinned. "Leo, that's perfect. But let me know if you need anything, I'm going to miss working with you."

"Me too. Who else can understand mechanical engineering like we do?"