Hazel

Hazel paced back and forth outside of Pluto's shrine. The occasional diamond popped up in her path, but she squished it into the dirt as quickly as it came. She wished she could squish all her problems like that.

"Hey!" Frank said, jogging up behind her.

"Oh thank god." Hazel yanked Frank into the shrine and closed the door. "We need to talk to Percy right now."

Frank frowned. "Why?"

"You haven't heard?"

"I've been taking care of Hannibal all afternoon. We went for a nice walk through the gardens and-"

"Percy killed Gwen!" Hazel burst out.

Frank's mouth fell open. "He couldn't have."

"That's what I said. But the other legionnaires confirmed it. I don't know if-if they were lying, or this is to make us hate the Greeks, but we need to know for sure."

"My god." Frank slumped down onto the lone bench. "You're right. Are Annabeth and the others okay?"

Hazel rubbed her temples. "I think so. I know Reyna got them to help, and I can imagine how. But we have to talk to Percy before doing anything."

"You're right. You gonna bring up the rock?"

"Yeah." Hazel closed her eyes and locked onto the slab of agate. And carefully, she pulled it from the depths, shaking the shrine as it rose. Hazel stepped back with a grin satisfaction. It was easier each time.

Frank shook his head. "Every time you do that is just amazing. Got the drachma?"

Hazel slipped the warm coin out of her pocket and turned it over in her fingers for a moment. Then she tossed it into the rainbow. "Oh Iris, goddess of the rainbow, accept this offering and show me Percy Jackson."

The rainbow shimmered for a moment, then gradually transformed. Hazel and Frank were in the backseat of a car racing down an interstate, shrubs dotting the desert landscape. Percy sat in the passenger seat staring out the window, and a woman drove, her fingers tapping to the beat of the music on the radio.

Hazel took a second to get her bearings. "Um, Percy?"

"Ahh!" Percy and his companion jumped, nearly swerving off the highway.

"Jesus Christ! the woman yelled as she yanked the car back on track.

Percy whipped around in his seat, his eyes widened when he saw them. "Hazel! Frank! It's so good to see you!" Percy's eyes were red and he looked pale.

The woman driving adjusted her mirror to make eye contact. "Who the hell is in my car?"

"Clarisse, this is Hazel and Frank," Percy said. "Hazel and Frank, this is Clarisse, a daughter of Ares and a friend."

Clarisse snorted at the word friend. "So you're the son of Mars then?"

Frank blinked. "Um, yes."

"You look too nice."

"Thank you?"

Hazel shook her head. "Sorry to interrupt, but Percy, we have to talk."

"About Gwen, right?" Percy looked miserable. "I swear I didn't mean to, there was this eagle, and I wasn't going to hurt anyone, it was an accident!"

"He won't shut up about," Clarisse added. "I had to turn on the radio to drown him out."

"Gwen was my friend, and I- I didn't-"

"Percy." Hazel reached to touch his shoulder, then remembered it was an Iris message. "I'm not going to pretend it's okay, but I know it was an accident."