Reyna

"Why?" Reyna paced back and forth, her hand on her dagger.

Hazel stood in front of her, flanked by guards. "You know why."

"I don't, actually. How was this going to solve anything?"

"It would buy time! Surely you don't want this war."

Reyna grimaced. "Of course not. But it has to happen. Better us than them, right?"

It's not us against them!" Hazel cried. "Can't you understand that? Gaea is the enemy, she's always been the enemy."

"I'm well aware! But we have to have the gods to fight them. The only way to heal them is to wipe out their division. The Greeks are the weaker half."

Hazel snorted. "Did Jason tell you that?"

Reyna narrowed her eyes. "He didn't have to."

"Speaking of, why isn't he here? He's your fellow praetor, isn't he?"

"He's not here," Reyna said, "because I'm afraid he's going to kill you! I'm trying to help you, Hazel."

Hazel's eyebrows furrowed. "Why?"

I can't tell you that, Reyna thought. "Because I can't have anymore roman blood spilled. Not after Gwen."

Hazel dropped her gaze. "Percy wouldn't have done that on purpose."

Reyna forced down the hot anger that writhed when she thought about her friend's death. "I don't care what his intentions are. He started a war that I intend to finish."

"Even if it means the destruction of all life?"

"It won't. I know you think this isn't the way to win, but what else can I do? The spear will be thrown, the legion will go to war."

"Then we've already lost," Hazel said. "We lost the second you decided to take Percy's girlfriend hostage."

Something clicked in Reyna head. "It was you, wasn't it."

Hazel frowned. "What was me?"

"You helped Percy escape. I bet Frank did too. Where is he?"

Hazel met Reyna's gaze. "You'll never find him. And yeah, of course I did."

"How did you lie to my dogs?"

"They're silver and gold, I could have done anything to them."

Reyna coughed. "I guess I should have thought of that." She glanced at her watch. It was late and this was taking too long. "Hazel, I don't know what's going to happen to you, but you'll stay the night in a cell."

"I thought you were different," Hazel said, her voice cold. "I guess I was wrong."

Reyna grit her teeth and stepped forward until they were face to face. Hazel stared back unflinching. "You have no idea the position I'm in," she hissed. "This is far more complicated than you think."

"Is it, Reyna? Because last I checked the decimation of an entire population was never the right thing to do."

"You want to talk about the right thing to do?" Reyna knew she shouldn't say it, but Hazel had to know she knew. "What would people say if they knew the truth about you? It was no accident you went on the quest to Alaska. Raise any more giants while you were at it?"

Hazel swallowed. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

"I think you do. Think about that while you wait for your trial." Reyna raised her eyes to her guards. "Take her."