Annabeth

Annabeth's mind was going a million miles an hour. Did Percy make it out okay? Am I about to be executed? Did Jason Grace really just betray us?

"Annabeth, please stop pacing," Piper groaned, her head in her hands. They were in a basement, unrestrained but clearly prisoners. Piper and Leo seemed to be taking it especially hard, but then they were really close to Jason.

"I just... why would he do it?" Leo said, throwing up his hands. "I built this warship for him. When did he decide that wasn't the plan?"

"And more importantly," Piper said, "why did he think this was a good idea?"

Annabeth shook her head. "I understand why he thinks it's a possibility. Eliminate the Greeks to heal to the gods, but who says that's going to solve anything? Who knows if the gods are even going to help? There are few who hate Hera more than me, but the queen of Olympus is rarely wrong about things."

"And we're his best friends!" Leo cried. "He couldn't have, I don't know, left us back at camp?"

The door above them unlatched, stopping the conversation. Down walked Reyna, two metallic dogs clicking on her heels. "Leo Valdez, Piper McLean, and Annabeth Chase," she said, her voice sharp. "How wonderful to finally meet you."

Piper jumped to her feet. "Where's Jason?"

Reyna dipped her head. "He's... occupied with other matters. But he has asked me to treat you well, as I would anyway. None of this is about you." Her gaze traveled over Leo and Piper until it landed on Annabeth. "Well, except for you, Miss Chase. This has a lot to do with you."

Annabeth straightened. "You mean Percy."

"Please. Everyone puts way too much emphasis on that particular son of Poseidon. No, I mean you, Annabeth. I've heard a lot about you from both Percy and Jason. You wouldn't mind joining me on a walk, would you?" Reyna's tone made it perfectly clear she didn't care what Annabeth did or didn't mind. They were going on their walk regardless.

Annabeth smiled, hoping to match Reyna's false sincerity. "That sounds lovely." She felt Piper and Leo's eyes on the back of her head as she climbed the stairs, and shot them one last glance before the door closed behind her.

***

"The gardens are wonderful, aren't they?" Reyna asked, pausing to pluck a flower.

Soaring columns, fountains, vines that crept up stone archways, the inner architect in Annabeth was in awe.

"They sure are."

Reyna's metallic dogs bounded around them, completely at ease in Annabeth's presence, unlike their master whose hand occasionally strayed to her dagger. Annabeth took some comfort that she scared the praetor of New Rome. They walked freely, but Annabeth was very aware of the eyes of the guards, out of mind but not completely out of sight. Annabeth was very much a prisoner here.

"Let's skip the small talk," Reyna said, turning to look directly at Annabeth. "You're here for one reason: to ensure your camp attacks mine."

Annabeth shook her head. "Why do you want open war? What good could possibly come of that?"

"I'll admit, Jason's plan took some convincing. But this is about more than just our two camps, the fate of the world is at stake." Reyna gripped the rim of a fountain. "And I can't risk the world's fate on a handful of demigods who think they're strong enough to fight giants.

"So this-" Annabeth gestured around them- "is the only other solution?"

"Give me another one."

"What?"