Chapter Six

Thirteen times. Thirteen times Jox had tried to call me, and that was just today. I mean, he did know I had an entire planet to run, right? Then again, I did feel guilty that I wasn't able to answer his calls, but I couldn't help it. I was so busy trying to play catch up, I hadn't even had time to look at my tablet for anything other than work related things. I had been so busy that I was only able to get four hours of sleep at a time this past week. Between trying to dispute an argument between two of our well known family names, trying to grant permission for over thirteen new construction plans, on top of trying to shut down an illegal underground drug ring...I hardly had any time to myself anymore. And now I was dealing with the whole mess with Elphes, struggling to figure out what the hell I could do to get out of this...

It was honestly a lot, and I was getting nearer and nearer to the breaking point.

And now I was hesitant to call Jox back to let him know I was ok. Now why would I not want to call the man I was infatuated with? Well...if I called him...I already know that I would crack and tell him about Elphes and how he was threatening the lives of my people if I didn't marry Emylle. Knowing Jox, he would try to talk to Asurah and get Glacida involved, and dammit, they were finally recovering from Vextian's attack and I didn't want to drag them into my mess. Glacida didn't need it, Asurah sure as hell didn't need it after what he went through...and Jox? I needed to figure this out on my own, if not for me...then for their safety.

I sat my tablet aside and sighed, dragging my hand down my face before running it through my hair. I then took a sip of my drink and let it sit in my mouth for a moment, before I swallowed and glanced down at the papers that littered my desk, my attention barely caught by them as my mind fell back in that place of wonder and what-ifs.

Even if I was going to figure this out on my own...how the hell was I going to null a marriage between me and the daughter of the strongest planet in our galaxy? Without risking a war at that? Right now I didn't have the resources to take on Eter, and even if I did, Elphes' weaponized technology alone would probably completely wipe us out. My options were limited...but I needed to figure out what options those were. Right now I had nothing and that was irritating me that I wasn't in control of the situation. I hated that Elphes was one step ahead of me, and I desperately needed to figure out how to knock him down without dragging Glacida into it.

A light knock on my door had me pulling out of my thoughts, my brows furrowing as I stood up and made my way over, opening it to reveal Emylle. Surprised, I opened the door wider and took a step back, not having expected her to come seek me out so soon. I mean, it had only been an hour since I left her at her room, right? I glanced at the holographic clock and grimaced when I saw the time. Ok...four hours since I left her. Where the hell had time gone? Had I really been in my thoughts for that long?

"Emylle? I-I apologize, I didn't realize it had been four hours since I left you. Is everything alright with your room? Are you settling in nicely?"

Emylle nodded her head and took a step inside, her gaze sweeping across my study until it landed on my cluttered desk. "It's quite alright, I found some company in a couple of Narakkan books I found." She made her way over to my desk, gaze sweeping across all the papers, and empty cups before that sea green gaze flickered over to me. "You're quite a busy man, aren't you, Delkele? Must be difficult work to run an entire planet on your own." She dragged a dark finger across the wooden surface of my desk. "Have you ever thought about hiring a council? My bambo has one that runs a good chunk of things while he's off spending time with my brothers and I. Makes things a lot easier for him and less stressful for him."

I pursed my lips and flagged down one of the staff, a tall, gangly man with dark brown hair and brown eyes. "May you bring me a water for myself and the Princess?" The man nodded and went to do as he was told, all while I turned towards Emylle, crossing my arms over my chest. "Councils...they can be corrupted. If one individual has too much power, they may let it get to their head, and I cannot allow that. Not with billions of innocent lives on the line. I prefer to be the one making all of the decisions. That way, I know nothing is being tampered with and that any decisions I may make are for the betterment of my people."

"But surely such a workload isn't healthy for you. How much do you eat? Sleep, even? I understand you worry for your people, but that is why you hire the individuals you trust." Emylle took a step closer to me, causing me to tense as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Do you have anyone you trust to take the reins for a bit? Just so you can take a break and actually relax."

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose, wondering why she was even bringing up such things in the first place. I mean, who does she think she is trying to tell me how to run my own planet? The hours may be long, yes...but it was worth it to make sure my people lived their best lives. I had no one I trusted enough to take the reins other than myself. And I was fine with that. I was used to it. After all, I only spent a good majority of my life being the sole mind behind Naraka. I didn't need anyone's help, and it honestly irritated me that this woman, a woman I only knew for a brief few minutes, was trying to tell me how to run my own kingdom.

"Princess-"

"You can just call me Emylle. We are engaged, are we not?" Emylle asked, tilting her head to the side and causing her long blonde hair to spill over her shoulder.

I pursed my lips and nodded. "Emylle, I understand where you are coming from, however, need I remind you I am the one in charge here. Naraka is my responsibility and, respectfully, I will not let a foreigner tell me how I need to run things. I hope you can understand."

Emylle averted her eyes and nodded her head, glancing back at me with a small, respectful smile on her face. "I understand. I apologize if I've overstepped my boundaries, Delkele. I just...I worry for your health." She then nibbled at her bottom lip and looked down her feet, appearing almost...shy. "In any case...do you think you can perhaps...spare some time to show me around the palace? Or even the town closest here? I'd love to see what Naraka has to offer, and since we're engaged, I'd also like to get to know the man I'm marrying." She glanced at me. "If you have time, of course. If not, we can reschedule this for a later date."

I shook my head and lifted my hand, biting hard at the inside of my cheek. "I believe I can spare some time to show you around. It's only courteous, considering you are my guest." I glanced to the side. "Besides, I'm fine. I eat and drink plenty, and I do get enough sleep each night. So...you shouldn't worry yourself over me. I'm fine."

Emylle seemed to search my gaze, no doubt trying to search for any lies. However, I was adept at putting on a mask, so she was unable to see past my little fib. She relaxed and nodded her head, taking in a breath before clearing her throat. "Of course, you're right." She then inhaled and gently clasped her hands in front of herself, giving me a warm smile. "Alright. Ah, lead the way, Your Highness."

A/N: Oof, no one tells Delkele how to run his planet lol. But she is kind of right, he shouldn't have to make all of the decisions alone

Anywho, hope you all enjoyed the chapter! Lemme know what you think! I love feedback!

Also, I'm posting this chapter early, because I work tomorrow and wont be able to post it tomorrow, so yay, early update!