Chapter Twenty-Three

(Jox's POV)

Today was definitely one of my favorites on my long list of good days. I mean, Naraka was absolutely rich with cultures from al over the universe, and everything was just so wonderful. It honestly surprised me that Naraka was often the target of war when their planet was just so...spectacular. And to top all of that off, I was getting to experience such a thriving place with a man I loved and couldn't keep my hands off of. It was incredibly perfect, and I honestly didn't want it to end.

"So, how long has it been this cultural?" I wondered as I walked beside Delkele, his hand warm, and calloused in mine.

Ha glanced at me from under his cream-colored head wrap, crimson eyes like two glistening rubies as he pursed his lips and shrugged. "Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. It's been like this for as long as I can remember."

"And yet, people wish to war with you? I don't get it, Naraka is the most diverse planet I've ever been on, and the culture here is amazing. I don't understand what would make anyone want to war with you."

Delkele paused and looked at me, a sadness swirling within those crimson depths. "That's what I want to know. We've never done anything to hurt anyone, and yet...we are the target for such violence. I honestly could never understand why everyone hated us so much. Or well...hates us so much."

I frowned when I saw the internal distress wafting off of the other man, and without another word, I pulled him out of the crowd and pulled him to me, hugging him tightly as I tried to rub the tension off of him. "It'll be ok, Delkele. I may not understand why everyone hates Naraka...but I do know that this place is absolutely gorgeous, and if any other planet tries you mess with you...well, they'll have to go through me."

Delkele pulled back and raised a single red brow. "Just you alone, against an entire army?"

I blushed and rolled my eyes playfully, a grin on my lips as I lightly smacked his arm. "You know what I mean, Del. Obviously, I can't take on an entire fleet by myself, but you know, it's the thought that counts, right?"

The smile Delkele gave me could have melted mountains, and a deep warmth spread through my chest as he chuckled and shook his head. "You are too kind to me, Jox." He then cleared his throat awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck. "Anyway, um...the café I was talking about is a few buildings down from here...i-if you still wish to go there."

I grinned and looped my arm with his, my heart racing excitedly in my chest as we walked side by side to a cute little round building, with flowers growing from little pots out front. There seemed to be an option for sitting outside, judging by the adorable round tables and metal chairs, but it was incredibly hot today, so we opted for inside seating.

Inside, it looked incredibly homey, the space filled with comfortable booths and warm lighting, and once we stepped inside, all eyes were on Delkele, making the poor man gulp and shift awkwardly beside me. I barely spared any of the onlookers a glance, before I was leading Del to an unoccupied booth in the corner. Both of us sat down, and I could see how shy Delkele was feeling from having so many eyes on him.

"Hey, don't worry about them," I told him, causing the redhead to look at me, "they need to mind their own business and let us be."

"What if they spread rumors?" The redhead worried, nibbling nervously at his bottom lip. "What if they know we're together romantically, a-and word gets back to Elphes?"

I pursed my lips and stared at him, hating that he was so scared of our relationship getting back to that bastard Eterian king. "They don't know anything, Del. For all they know, we're just two friends having some lunch together. We're allowed to do that, right?" I shook my head and picked up my menu, pursing my lips when I realized the language was in Narakkan. "Now, help me read this, because my Narakkan is kind of rusty."

Delkele stared at me for a moment before he sighed and picked up the holographic menu, crimson gaze gliding across the screen. "There's an option to change languages...if it'll be easier for you."

I raised my brow and handed him my tablet, watching him as he tapped at a few things before handing it back to me; the menu now in flawless Glacic. "That's pretty handy," I commented, reading the various salads and vegetarian foods this café had to offer.

Delkele nodded his head, causing a couple of rogue strands to fall in front of his eyes. "Well, most places have something similar, since we have so many different kinds of people who come here." He nibbled at his bottom lip and placed his menu down, causing me to raise a brow in question.

"Already know what you're ordering?"

I relished the dark blush that blossomed across his tanned cheeks, and watched the other man shrug nonchalantly, picking at the wood of the table. "I-I'm pretty basic," he spoke, his gaze avoiding mine. "I get the same thing every time I get here."

My brows raised and I leaned forward, trying to catch the other man's eyes. "Oh really? There's nothing wrong with that, Del. I mean, there's this one place back home, and every time I go, I always order the same exact thing. Why settle for something else when you know what's good?"

Delkele seemed to relax a bit, his blush slightly receding as he leaned back in his seat and drummed his fingers against the table, looking utterly adorable. "I always get the Chavakt. The meat is juicy and seasoned really well, and it's a bigger meal, which is good because I'm a...large individual....and I'm rambling again. Sorry."

I shook my head in amusement, a smile on my lips. "Nah, don't apologize. I think it's cute when you ramble like that." I chuckled when Delkele's cheeks turned dark red, the other man blushing darkly as I took a peek down at my menu. "I'm thinking about having the zathar. I've never had spicy salad before, so it should be interesting."

I placed my menu on the table, and watched Delkele's brows raise, the other man seemingly surprised at my choice of food. "Actually...that does sound interesting. M-Maybe I'll give it a try as well." He then blushed and sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. "I mean, i-if you're alright with it, s-since you're paying and all..."

"Del, calm down," I gently told him, catching his gaze, "I told you that I want to spoil you tonight. So, if you want to eat everything on the menu, I won't object."

Delkele blushed once again and nodded his head, finally giving in as he hesitantly picked his menu back up, scanning for anything else he may want. And once the time came to order, I watched in amusement as Del ordered half of the menu, the other man looking awkward as he spoke to the waitress.

And when the food came, we ate, talking about our hopes and dreams and aspirations...and it was nice, being there with Delkele, on an actual date. I felt like nothing else would ever top today...and if things went really well...maybe this could continue well into the night. Which I wouldn't mind in the least. I loved spending time with Del, and to be honest, I wished this day would never end.

A/N: Tbh, not really too happy with how this chapter turned out, but after working 13 days straight with no writing time, I had to scrounge something up lol. So, tah dahhhhh.

Anywho, hope you enjoy! Lemme know what you think! I love feedbackkkkk.