Chapter 5

I woke up one morning. The sun was shining through the curtains. My head was resting on Rye's chest, my arm draped around his torso. His soft heartbeats against my ear made me smile. I looked up at him and realised he was still asleep.

I slowly and quietly got out of bed to prepare breakfast while he rested. I grabbed one of his t-shirts off the floor and put it on, since I was naked.

I walked into the living room and turned the tv so that I could listen to something as I prepared breakfast for the two of us. Since the kitchen is right next to the living room, I was easily able to hear the tv. I randomly flipped to a channel and Good Morning Britain starting playing.

I entered the kitchen and grabbed eggs and a pan. I brought them over to the stove. I turned the stove on and placed the pan on top of it. I got a bowl, cracked the eggs in the bowl, and whisked them. I poured the eggs into the pan and started moving them around, letting them cook.

Just then, I heard from the tv, "And joining us today, we have Helen McCrory and Damian Lewis speaking to us about the Prince's Trust"

I gasped with excitement as I ran into the living room. I hadn't seen or talked to them much during lockdown and honestly, I really missed them. Helen and I were really close. We've known each other for almost 2 decades and she's like a sister to me.

As soon as Helen and Damian appeared on the screen, I felt my heart sink.

Helen.

"Oh my God" I murmured as I slowly brought my hand to cover my mouth.

She just looked so frail. Her voice, it was almost painful to hear. Her cheeks were sunken in. It looked as if she was wearing a wig. The pigment in her face had faded and she looked so weak.

The way Damian looked at Helen was enough to convince me that something was seriously wrong.

"Are you alright Helen? You sound a bit croaky. Have you got a sore throat?" The interviewer asked.

Helen smiled. Some emotion flashed through her eyes, but I couldn't tell what it was. "No, I've got children," she responded.

Both interviewers laughed. Helen smiled, but there was so much pain behind her smile. Her eyes told so much emotion. Damian's shoulders bounced twice. He always did that when he was holding back tears. My heart completely shattered.

The interview ended a few moments later and the regular news continued playing. I had this gut feeling that something was horribly wrong.

I ran to get my phone and started looking for Helen's contact. I called her, but the call went straight to voicemail. I can't say I'm surprised though, she usually wasn't very good at answering calls.

I spoke into the phone as I left a message. " Hi Helen. It's Helena. I know we haven't really talked in a while, but um, I saw you on Good Morning Britain this morning. And well, you look...different. I just want to make sure that you're okay. I really hope you're okay and if you aren't please tell me. I hope you know how much I love you. Please call me back when you get the chance. Love you."

I then hung up the phone and started crying. I was really worried. She looked so sick, so pale, so tired. I really love her and I don't want to lose her. 

I walked back into the kitchen, tears still sliding down my cheeks. I realised I burned the eggs. I started crying even harder. Not crying, sobbing.

Everything just came crashing down so fast. My mind started making scenarios, eventually convincing myself that Helen was dying. It couldn't be true.

She's so young. She's 52. She's younger than me.

I felt arms wrap around my waist. "Are you alright? I could smell the burnt eggs from upstairs" Rye chuckled. But his smile quickly faded away when I turned around and faced him.

Tears were still streaming down my face as he hugged me again, stoking my hair.

I heard my phone ring and I whimpered. I got out of Rye's warm hug and looked at who the call was from.

Here We Go

// I will make a Part 2 to this soon. sorry it's kind of short. love you all <3