Chapter 6

(Starts right where we left off from chapter 5, still Helena's POV)

TW: Vomiting

I looked at my phone and saw that Helen was calling me. A flash of panic took over me, but I quickly grabbed my phone and moved to another room, bracing myself for what Helen was going to say.

I was really nervous to hear what she was about to say and as soon as I accepted the call, my mind went blank.

"Hi Helen," I spoke slowly and slowly out of anxiety.

"Hi, Helena! How are you?" She sounded oddly chipper and happy, her voice still frail though.

"I'm fine. How are you?"

"Oh, I'm great, just great." I was really confused why she was so enthusiastic and happy. "Listen, I wanted to tell you something," she excitedly continued, "we just got new carpets a few days ago. You remember how we had the light grey carpets upstairs?"

"Yeah, I remember"

"Well we went a few shades lighter and now they're almost white, but not pure white if that makes sense." She paused to make sure I was following what she was saying.

"That's nice." I was a bit irritated because I didn't really care about her carpets, I just wanted to know how she was doing, really doing. Just as I was about to speak, she started speaking again.

"Or today when Daman and I were on Good Morning Britain, we actually got the time wrong for when we were supposed to join the zoom. We were supposed to be on the show almost twenty minutes earlier, but we were late." She chuckled. "And yesterday, Manon said the funniest thing, she-"

"Helen, can you please just tell me what's going on." I firmly stated.

She paused then took a deep breath. "Nothing's going on. I'm fine." Her voice cracked as she spoke.

"I know you're not okay, please just be honest with me." I was starting to get really annoyed.

"I'm fine Helena. You don't need to worry about me." Her cheery tone was replaced with a defensive, almost sassy tone as she spoke each word. She wasn't acting like herself. I tried being patient, but I just gave up. I knew she didn't like to draw attention to herself, especially when she was struggling, but this was just nothing like I've seen before.

"Helen please just-"

"I go to go, bye"

She hung up on me. I scoffed out of irritation. Her actions were just furthering my worries.

I walked back into the kitchen to find Rye scrubbing the burnt eggs off the pan. He looked over and smiled at me. I leaned on the counter next to the sink where Rye was standing.

God, he's such a sweetheart.

"What did Helen have to say?" He asked, still smiling as he cleaned the pan.

"Oh, she's fine. She was talking about how they're filming the season of Peaky Blinders and how the kids are doing in school. She talked about what they did for Damian's birthday last month. We were just catching up." I didn't want to lie to him, but I wasn't ready to share my worries with him. I'm one of those people where I need to process my own worries before sharing them with other people. My mind was creating different scenarios, and I just wasn't ready to speak about it with another person yet.

"Mhm," He hummed as his smile dropped.

"What?"

"If you're so worried about her, why don't you just go to her house? You know where she lives."