CHAPTER SEVEN - maps here are the shit

"I'm a stalker," Isabella said. Her vocal timbre was serious and low, as if she were talking about a secret mission. "I'm your number one fan" that  wasn't a lie. "I'm obsessed" she continued, "and I think I need therapy" she added, which she probably did need.

Fenrys turned around, his back facing her. And it was because of the way his whole body shook that told her he was trying very hard to contain his laughter. Lorcan seemed unimpressed but he always looked like that. Rowan hissed through his teeth, a clear sign that he was losing his patience. Gavriel remained the same: a kind smile on his face that never seemed to shatter. Isabella had realized that it was, indeed, a fake smile. One that he might probably only use for "civilized" interrogations. He was playing the good cop, while Rowan was the closest to a bad cop in the tent. Fenrys was just a clown cop and Lorcan...well, he was a boring cop.

They had asked her plenty of questions already. Where she was from, how she had ended up in the forest, who she was, how did she know them, etcetera, etcetera. She had wanted to tell them the truth, had decided to tell them the truth, but then she panicked. They had gotten closer and closer to her with each question, encircling her as if she were an object they didn't quite understand, and she had felt like a prisoner all over again. She had even feared they might try to touch her, manhandle her, and that had been the last straw. She had been so afraid and nervous, with memories running through her mind, that she almost attempted to run. It was irrational and a destined failure because they were literally in. Front. Of. Her. Covering any possible exit. And the soldiers were still outside her tent. And there was no way she would have been able to even take a step outside with them so close to her to stop her.

But she didn't.

She would have if Rowan hadn't taken several steps back until he was standing back in his place behind and close to Gavriel. And if he hadn't practically snarled an order to Fenrys and Lorcan to also step back. She hadn't understood the order because they hadn't spoken a language she knew. And Isabella had realized that Remelle had probably only allowed her to speak one language from this world; and it wasn't the one that the males spoke between each other. It was a strange tongue, she couldn't place any word and nothing sounded similar to anything she had heard before. Isabella imagined they were speaking the Tongue of the Fae, a language no mortal could speak because their predisposed biology made it impossible for them to do so. It was very frustrating, especially after she had just finally managed to understand them. She also thought it was very rude but she prevented herself from telling them so and asking them if their parents hadn't taught them manners. And it wasn't hard to stop herself from doing so after she remembered that most of them were orphans.

"Isabella, please," Gavriel told her. And the way he said it would have reminded her of a man begging if it weren't for the fact that Gavriel's hands were in fists. It was inevitable for her to stop one of her eyebrows to shoot upward at the sight of the male's hands. Interesting. "I'm just asking for the truth"

She wanted the same. She wanted to admit everything and for them to say that she was not crazy and that it was actually all part of a new TV show. She wanted everything to be a misunderstanding. She wanted them to be humans, for her to be safe and for everything to be normal

And yet...

And yet a part of her wanted everything to be real.

But she also wanted a rational answer.

"I am telling the truth" she said to Gavriel, but she knew that her tone wasn't convincing. She wasn't really trying.

"No" he muttered, and dropped his smile for the first time since the interrogation had started. "No, you are not. The only real thing you have told us is your name"