CHAPTER SIXTEEN - fenrys cries when he's drunk

"You should sit down"

Rowan's voice was low, sombre. Gravel. Full of possibilities that had Isabella's worry appearing to take over her, in the form of a rapid heartbeat and cold sweat.

She did as told, too numb to protest. Isabella did not even bother to look if the place of dirt where she was sitting was spattered with dark blood as she distractedly settled on the ground.

The silver-haired male took a deep breath, and shot an almost pleading look to Gavriel. The lion vaguely -but firmly- shook his head in denial, and Rowan closed his eyes -for just a second- in resignation. Probably to prepare himself, too.

And as she studied the interaction between them, her mind ran wild. There was nothing worse than her mind creating possible scenarios for her. Because they all were fed by her nightmares. Final. And imposing no overmorrow.

Without giving up, Rowan looked at Lorcan -the tall male was straight-faced, with still a little bit of inoffensive darkness curling at his sharp figure, and his arms crossed over his chest- with a similar expression as the once given to Gavriel. But the dark-haired male did not even glance in Rowan's direction. He just let out a breath, almost a puff, that was enough answer.

She couldn't take it anymore, so with a slightly trembling voice, she asked them. "What is it?" Isabella swallowed. "Is everything alright?"

"No," Rowan breathed. He shook his head, the gesture more to himself, and repeated. Louder and clearer. "No. It is not alright"

"Wh-"

"I will tell you something that we should have informed you of, a long time ago. But I hope, that once I'm done explaining me -ourselves- you will be able to understand why we were wary of speaking of such matters"

Isabella hid her hands under her legs, and bit the inside of her cheek. Strong enough to focus on the pain instead of her fear. "Okay" She nodded.

The four males nodded to each other, and Isabella felt -more than saw- a barrier surrounding them. An invisible shield coming to settle around them, protecting them from exterior threats. And prying, Isabella also knew.

Whatever they were about to tell her, they didn't want anyone else to hear. Especially the creatures breathing in the shadows of the forest.

"I do not know how much Sarah shared of our world in her writings, I also do not know how much of it was true and how much was part of her livid imagination, but I'll tell you what it is the truth of the situation in this world" Rowan claimed, with caution. For her, she was sure. His hands were in fists, and he opened and closed them at his side before continuing. "We are at war"

That single word, one she was too familiar with, rang in her ears. Like a cursed chanting following her wherever she was. Too stunned to speak, Rowan continued after a slow gaze in her direction.

"We, fae, are immortal beings. Perhaps, with too much time in our hands, for we always seem to be at war for no apparent reason. The four of us are from a kingdom known as Wendlyn. It is an expansive territory located in the northeast of our world, with the North Sea in between the closest foreign kingdoms"

"In the past, almost every land used to be ruled by the fae. There was no piece of earth for mortals to own, -but please bear in mind that it was a long time ago- but things changed too quickly. At least, for what someone with centuries to live can consider 'fast'. Mortals reproduced too quickly, and in the span of one decade to the other, their cultures, morals and ideals changed drastically" The story was almost like an ugly-true fairy tale told by a mythical thing. Isabella listened carefully, and ignored the familiarity of his tale. "Many of our kin had children with mortals, and their offsprings were something new. Raw. And unconventional. Some of them were almost the same as their mortal parentage, while others were identical to their fae blood. But most...were an unprecedented mix of both"