CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - rowan says a lot

Isabella blinked. Once. Twice. And wondered if Fenrys was so drunk his thoughts were confusing him, and the words leaving his lips were just a consequence of that confusion.

"What?" She dared a quick glance in Rowan's direction. The male was still, filled with tension even as he tried to play it cool by tapping his fingers on an unknown rhythm on the table.

His eyes were on Fenrys, though, and the murderous look in his eyes was impossible to conceal.

Fenrys was fully sobbing, now. Thick tears running down his face, lips and neck. Probably a lot of mucus mixed on it, too.

And Isabella had no idea what to do.

So, she tried again, leaning a little bit closer to the male across the table. "Fenrys," She called. "What do you mean?"

He hiccuped. "Rowan" Hiccup. "Said" Hiccup. "That you-" Hiccup. "Would leave"

She tried to contain the annoyance that arose in her when Gavriel started drunkenly laughing and Lorcan started playing with his empty glass.

"Why?"

He sneezed. "Why what?"

She hid one of her hands under her tigh to prevent her from sinking her nails on her own hand. It was a reflex act she was still trying to drop.

"Did Rowan tell you why I was leaving?" And she couldn't help but glance at Rowan. His cheeks were slightly flushed due to the alcohol, but apart from that, he did not look drunk.

Fenrys nodded, and accepted the offered tissue of Gavriel's to blow his nose.

Isabella waited patiently. Or, tried to.

"He said-" He was stopped by the appearance of a new figure.

A human woman stood close to their table. The neckline of her dress ran low, and she looked only a little bit less drunk than the males in Isabella's company.

"Hello," She purred.

Three sets of male eyes blinked. "Hi," Fenrys choked out.

Her smile was intensive and seductive. "Why are you crying?" She asked him, slowly, as she leaned to rest her forearms on their table. And allowing the males a better view of her barely hidden breasts.

Fenrys seemed to forget that he had been crying less than a minute ago, for a wide, teasing -and very inviting- smile spread across his face. He did not lean closer, though.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

The woman blinked, feigning ignorance. "I would, actually" Her voice has turned low.

Isabella wondered if this is what foreplay looked like in real life. A second layer she decided that if it was, then real life was disappointing.

Fenrys chuckled, and the woman took that as her opportunity to persuade him to invite her to have a drink with him. And despite Isabella's uncomfortability, she had to admit that the woman was actually quite good at seducing. Especially being half-drunk.

So the two of them left to go to the bar, ordered two drinks, and went to a room in the inn before the bartender had even finished their beverages.

Before Isabella could begin questioning Rowan, Lorcan stood up and walked to whisper in the ear of another woman. She giggled, and they left to their own room.

Gavriel followed his friend's action swiftly, but multiplied it by two.

In the end, it was only her and him. Isabella and Rowan. Rowan and Isabella. The mortal girl and the immortal being. A girl from another reality and a male from a book.