Chapter five

King. The position had always been so close, yet so distant.

As he made his way back to his chambers, the young ruler smiled to himself, relishing his new title. The stark corridors shone brighter in the moonlight, his footsteps echoing to the rhythm of a royal cortege. Even though it was a temporary position until his father was fully recovered, his heart was full and his grown brazing ego could match the giants of Muspelheim. He felt invincible, his senses fogged by the bliss of long-desired recognition.

However, despite his current delight, the new king's head was restless; on one side he cheered his moment of glory, on the other he already made plans and traced strategies for the threat of war. A war that he had started – unintentionally, but still.

What a mess the young god found himself in. The stunt during Thor's coronation was supposed to be a mere prank, a way to postpone the crowning of an immature king. His brother was not ready to rule, he was too impulsive, too reckless, he needed time.

Loki imagined Thor would want to attack Jotunheim, but he did not anticipate the harshness of Odin's punishment. Nor did he foresee the revelation of his true nature and his father's illness.

It was all surreal.

Was he ready to be king?

His life was in such turmoil that he had completely forgotten the human in his room. So when the new ruler arrived at his chambers, beaming with triumph, absorbed in fantasies and schemes, and noticed someone's presence, his racing mind stopped working for a second.

He could not tell what was the intoxicating scent that filled the space, but he instantly felt himself calm down, momentarily forgetting any kingly duties or promises of war.

Coming closer to the sitting area, he could finally see his 'guest'. The mortal had created a cocoon of green silk, looking ever so peaceful in her slumber; so much that she did not even flinch with his entrance or with the sound of the closing doors.

He had forgotten she had spent the night in the bath chamber. What would Frigga do if she knew that? Probably would grab him by the ears for mistreating a lady. She isn't a lady, she's a mortal, he thought to himself, to which the image of an enraged warrior queen promptly surged in his conscience. He shuddered at the thought. The last time he had seen his mother truly angry was due to Fandral's discourteous advances towards her handmaidens.

She doesn't belong here.

The Bifrost was closed, and although he knew other ways between the realms, he did not have time to take a silly mortal home. Heimdall could potentially do it, but that would mean revealing his discoveries, and Loki would never trust the locations of the passageways to anyone. She would have to wait.

Let her sleep.

-

Waking up from a much-needed nap was reinvigorating.

With your eyes still closed, you started stretching and enjoying the few seconds of drowsiness left; well, until a low voice disturbed your peace:

"Dinner is served."

What the hell?

You immediately covered the bottom half of your face and opened your eyes, all tensed up.

Oh yeah, you were the forced guest of a super-powerful thousand-year-old alien who happened to be the inspiration behind some of the Ancient Norse Myths. You really had to stop needing to remind yourself that.