Chapter eighteen

It was peaceful.

To drift across a starless sky.

Or perhaps it was an infinite sea.

There was no up or down, no pain nor fear.

You floated in serene waves of a dreamless trance; until the hues of early dawn gradually lightened the eternal slumber.

It was probably the best sleep you'd had in months.

And your tired lids complained when you finally opened them, the sudden light taking a moment to reveal the mosaic of different shades of concrete, steel and glass that covered countless towers aiming for the skies.

Sitting up abruptly, despite the protests of your leg and abdomen, you stared wide eyed at the sight of New York City's best view of Midtown Manhattan.

Shit.

Looking around you saw a luxurious living room, with pristine, dark marbled floors and geometric wooden panels that covered most of the walls of the chamber - when they weren't adorned with abstract paintings that surely cost more than your entire life's earnings.

Shit.

In your distressed state you just barely registered that your crutch was carefully placed at arm's length before you rushed to your feet and limped to the massive glass panels.

A million thoughts raced through your head, theories and plans marked with confusion until you saw the long, grey balcony jutting out from the side of the building, along with its single occupant.

Part of you traced an escape route; surely if it were a commercial or residential building there had to be people on other floors, you could reach them or the lobby to get help. All you had to do was run for the elevator and pray to the Allmother that her son was distracted.

But that other traitorous side glued your gaze to the imposing figure, studying and registering his every move as he contemplated the city below.

With that, your single reasonable neuron pleaded one last time for you to flee, pointing out the fact that the man was already distracted, talking to himself.

Squinting at the fallen prince you watched his familiar frown deepen and his head jerk from an invisible force, until his grimace was replaced with the new mask of madness.

He's right, I am foolish, the little common sense you had left chastised, as you trailed the man's shape back inside.

A cold breeze slithered in upon the opening of the automatic panel, and his careful, measured movement could be one of a beast ambushing its prey.

"Slept well?" a tiny smirk pulled the corner of his lips. You may have mistaken it for the trickster you had known, if it wasn't for the sunken, darkened eyes clouded with mayhem and destruction that made you recoil.

"Don't you ever do that," was the strained response, a sudden fear and ire rising with the idea of having someone inside your head.

The sly smile quickly fell, turning into a scowl.

"You know, you should be grateful," his creeping steps came to a halt, hands clasped behind his back as his perfect posture highlighted his imposing frame "by the grace of the Norns you will be one of the first citizens of this new era,

"How does it go?" he looked almost contemplative, "Right place, right time?"

Right for what? For whom? "I don't understand," You shook your head as a familiar pressure crushed down your chest, your head falling in defeat, "Why am I even alive?"