Chapter eight

Beauty was not the first thing that came to mind when describing the desolated kingdom of Jotunheim.

Covered in a never-ending winter, its gargantuan mountains dared to trespass the limits of the stratosphere, their peaks concealed by clouds roaring in menace. Even the spot where once stood a glorious Royal Palace transmitted a looming danger to its intruders; the crystal clear stalagmites that covered its wrecked ceiling were the sharp fangs of a beast, ready to seize its prey; howling winds echoed through the ruined corridors, giving a haunting quality to the already dangerous place.

And yet, on a closer look, one could see how the translucent ice became a prism of colours in the faint light, how each snowflake carried a different beautiful pattern, how the white snow seemed to glimmer as if enchanted.

However, the latest impression demanded a more innocent standpoint. For those raised with the first idea embedded into their minds from a young age, the frozen land was only a setting for tales of horror and despair. And so, Loki looked around with nothing but contempt when standing before the King of Frostgiants.

"Tell me why I shouldn't kill you right now." A shadow with blood-redded eyes snarled.

The young god kept his ground in spite of his inflamed opponent, "I have come alone and unarmed."

"To what end?"

"To make you another proposition."

A dangerous smile crossed Laufey's face at the realisation, "So you're the one who let us into Asgard."

And the trickster could not hold back his retort, "You're welcome."

Laufey's sneer was quickly replaced by a heinous grimace, and the already freezing temperature seemed to lower even more.

"My men are dead, and I have no Casket. You are a deceiver," the Jotunn lashed out, grabbing Loki around the throat. Panic filled the prince's body, but his face remained icily calm.

"You have no idea of what I am," he glared, struggling for oxygen, his feet dangling above the ground.

From his neck, blueness started spreading across his face; geometric marks revealed themselves and adorned his features, while emerald irises were replaced by bloody rubis as the giants were now joined with another of their kind.

Swallowing his pride and disgust, Loki growled at his progenitor, "Hello, Father."

The Frostgiant's eyes momentarily widened in surprise, but it was soon replaced with amusement as he released his forgotten spawn.

As soon as Loki's feet hit the ground, the young god recollected himself, while his skin slowly returned to its usual pale colour.

"Ah, the bastard son. I thought Odin had killed you. That's what I would have done.

"He's as weak as you are," the monster scoffed.

He was less to his birth father than to Odin, at least that was somewhat comforting.

"No longer weak. I now rule Asgard, until Odin awakens. Perhaps you should not have so carelessly abandoned me," he said between gritted teeth.

How desperate is the heart of the broken, always seeking belonging where there is none.

"Or perhaps it was the wisest choice I've ever made." Laufey smiled, his interest renewed. "I shall hear you."

"I will conceal you and a handful of your soldiers, lead you into his chambers, and let you slay him where he lies. I'll keep the throne, and you will have the Casket," he said, his face void of any expression or hesitation at the gory plot.