Chapter eleven

Odin had two ravens. Odin really had two ravens. And one eye. And frankly, it would all be too mesmerising if you weren't on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Sitting on his massive golden throne, dressed in full golden armour and branding an unsurprisingly also golden spear, the man was the spitting image of what the popular imagination would expect of a god.

With his single, crystalline eye, it almost felt like he focused the weight of nine realms on watching your pitiful frame.

And yet, for all your overwhelmed state, nothing could compare to the shock of finding an even more majestic figure standing next to him; for by his side stood your friendly nurse.

The few neurons left inside your nearly catatonic head stopped working as an instinctive feeling of betrayal surged. Your heart broke with the idea that the nicest person in the suffocating infirmary had been an informant for the king.

However, on a closer look, the previous assumption proved to be incredibly absurd, since the most senseless being would have noticed how lavish her dark blue garments were when compared to anyone else's in the palace. Or how her golden locks were twisted in braids that formed a crown on top of her head, her entire body emanating an ethereal glow, the ensemble complete with sparkling diamonds and large jade stones.

She looked like a goddess. Or an empress.

Shit.

The walking to the throne room had been easy enough. Thor wasn't even as terrifying as one would expect. The whole time he had stayed at a safe distance, trying to match your pitiful slow limping, and not once did he complain or force you to go faster. Even though you were going much slower than you potentially could.

Heavenly golden and marbled hallways seemed to taunt you to look and admire their splendour, but not even the elaborate engravings managed to distract your troubled head. And the aching pain that kept pulling your left leg didn't help either. When you two had finally reached an insultingly long staircase you were ready to hit something with your way-too-pretty cane.

"Do you need assistance, my lady?" the god of thunder asked softly.

"It's okay, I'm fine," you let out, dreading the idea of being handled by anyone so soon. You had just gained a little bit of independence, damn it.

So you two began your slow ascent. One arduous step after the other.

"Heimdall told me of your arrival here," he said. Not again, you prayed. "I gather you were one of the agents watching my questioning."

Oh. That was new.

"Yeah," you smiled at the memory of a sad mountain of a man, "did you get your hammer back, then?"

"I did. Although I also caused a bit of a wreck," the man chuckled, "I guess I should apologise for that."

You snorted. Poor Coulson and the rest of the staff were probably still climbing up and down the walls dealing with whatever mess the God of Thunder had left behind.

Damn. How long had you been gone?

It had been what? Around a month at the infirmary? And that was just the time after you woke up.

Protocol probably had already suspended any active search for you.

That was not the greatest mindset to have when approaching a god-king.

Great reminder brain, wonderful work.

It took you a few moments to realise that you had stopped climbing and that your vision was going blurry.