Chapter thirteen

The clear skies of the Realm Eternal lengthened in endless azure splendour as the midday sun shone brighter than ever.

No one seemed to be able to keep you inside. When a garden that extended for miles on end was available, any indoor space felt too claustrophobic.

So you spent your days exploring the grounds, having picnics by the translucent fountains and admiring the foreign species of plants.

Even the nightmares, although still present, became less frequent; and Hild drew attention to the way the bags under your eyes looked more subtle. Altogether, you felt better, and that also reflected on your relationship with the young maid, who happily heard you tell stories from Earth while you two rested after a long walk.

"So, are they like smaller wolves?" she asked with a confused expression.

"More or less, although most breeds differ so much from their common ancestor that you probably wouldn't recognise their kinship," you tried again, "are you sure you don't know what a dog is?"

But Hild merely shook her head, brows furrowed as she tried to picture a pug or a chihuahua.

"What about cats?"

"Oh, yes," her eyes widened, a new sense of alarm in her tone, "you do not want to cross paths with those, my lady."

Good to know cats maintain their domain across the universe, you chuckled to yourself, taking another bite of a large golden pear.

And in the back Geri stood as solemn as ever; even though he was probably boiling inside his heavy armour.

You just couldn't watch the man stand guard any longer, "Would you like something, Geri?" you offered the basket of snacks that Hild had carefully prepared.

"Thank you, my lady, but I must decline," he simply bowed in respect.

"Don't mind it," Hild whispered from your side, "he's quite nice once you get to know him."

Geri was alright. He was polite and proper, honouring his position and prestige in the Royal Guard. Plus, he didn't look annoyed at your existence, unlike a few of the sentinels across the hallways who would always turn their noses when you crossed paths with them, as if you stank of mortality.

If Odin said humans and aesir used to mingle and feast as comrades, you wondered what could have driven a wedge in the relationship between the Realms.

Lost in thought, you missed when a handmaiden dressed in silver silk approached.

"My lady," the woman bowed, "Her Majesty wonders if you would like to join her for tea."

Feeling your body freeze with the offer, you turned to see an equally surprised but excited Hild, who nodded in encouragement.

A queen's wish is a command after all.

So you stood up and wished goodbye to your companions, before following the new maid to a stone path that you had yet to explore.

The trail led to a new area of the royal grounds, with different species of trees from the rest of the gardens, and at the end of the track stood what seemed to be a large greenhouse; and the maid stopped by its door, nodding you farewell and going away.

Here goes nothing, you sighed deeply before opening the stained-glass doors.

Immediately you felt the temperature drop when you crossed the passage. Unlike the scorching summer sun outside, it was almost like you were met with an entirely different climate. Tall trees reached the glass ceiling, casting a protection from the light above, while vines and creepers covered some of the walls with blooming flowers and different coloured leaves, the shades securing a fresh temperature inside the sanctuary.