02: Target Acquired

Emotions are useless. They're just a weak link in any mafia chain... Useless. If you're wondering what's useful on the other hand, that would include a multitude of things. Hand-to-hand combat, knowing how to shoot a gun, and sniper training, for starters. Pros and Cons? We'll get to those later.

18:00.

The streets are unusually quiet. Not that it matters. The only thing that matters is the mission: Kill the target.

"Barnes, I need you to be by the corner store. Lay low until you hear the code word." Rogers speaks through the earpiece. Barnes complies.

"Romanoff. Stand by the dumpsters."

"Seriously?!" Romanoff protests.

"Just do it."

"Fine." She heads to her post.

"Parker, you're at 31st Street. Keep an eye out."

"You got it, Rogers." He heads to his station.

Parker's voice plays through the earpiece. "Where's your post, Rogers?"

"Inside the convenience store. I'll pose as a customer."

"Okay. Remind me what the code word is." Parker asks.

Rogers lowers his voice slightly, "Avenge."

Romanoff laughs. "Look who misses the glory days."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. They treated us like shit back then, I don't miss it."

Barnes takes over, "That's old news. Focus up, Rogers. Target should be here any minute now."

18:35.

You'd think our target would've been here by now. Think again.

"Seems our girl is taking her time." Rogers smirks.

"Cut her some slack. It's her last day on Earth. At least, it will be soon." Romanoff replies.

18:55.

"Any news, Parker?"

"None, Rogers. Hang tight."

"Trying to. I never was the patient type."

"We know." Romanoff and Parker say it at the same time.

"She'll be here soon." Barnes says.

19:05.

"She's here. Turning the corner on 31st Street." Parker finally says the words.

"Stay put, everyone. Don't blow your covers." Rogers says into the earpiece.

19:10.

"Rogers, she's entering the store."

Rogers nods, not saying a word. The first thing he sees are your heels. The red bottoms. Signature. His eyes wander up your legs... your smooth skin. Even higher, now... his eyes trace your fitted dress. Then your waist. Up to your hair. Your long, silky hair. He makes out your approximate age, twenty-six. He only catches a glimpse of your face until...

He blinks.

Rogers walks to the register with a bottle of vodka in one hand, a pack of cigarettes in the other. Intentionally, he drops the cigarettes right in front of you. His target.

"Oh, it looks like you dropped this." You reach over and hand him the pack of cigarettes, "You really shouldn't smoke. It's terrible for your lungs."

Rogers cracks a smile, "I've heard."

Your red lips curve into a smile, and you raise your eyebrow. "Are you going to buy me a drink for this kind gesture?"

Rogers laughs, "It depends on what you want."

You lean in, whispering into Rogers' ear, "You know what I want."

The heat intensifies as Rogers whispers back, "Oh, I know exactly what you want."

"Shall we?" You hold out your hand and Rogers takes it, leading you out the door. Once you both are well away from the store, he smiles to himself. He mutters under his breath, but loud enough for the team to hear, "Avenge."

"Did you say something?" You ask.

"No, of course not."

But he did.

Everybody exits their posts and points their guns at you.

"What's happening?!" You ask before turning to Rogers.

"Alexandra Knight. Russian spy." Rogers pulls out his gun, pointing it directly at you, "My target."