06: Defenseless

It isn't easy being a mafia man. Despite everything, it's a tough job, requiring even stronger people to get it done. Men like James Barnes, for example. His dominance was what pleased the Don the most, that and the fact that that he showed zero emotion. The man was made of steel: Unbreakable. Yet, something about Alexandra's current state threw him off... made him feel protective. Protective of the defenseless woman sitting in front of him.

You take a break from chewing your lip, "Are they back yet?"

"No."

Barnes had been daring enough to keep you untied even after you finished eating. Yet, you know there must be a reason for his sudden softness. Perhaps he's established a liking to you? Likely not. He's a mafia man, surely it can't be that easy to fool them.

"What are you doing here, Alexandra?"

You shoot your head up at his question, "Excuse me?"

"Why are you here?"

His voice is deep and raspy, and he takes his time with the words, as if to stretch them to their limits.

"New York is my home. Do I need permission to come back?" Your sudden bravery catches you by surprise.

Barnes smirks, his steel-blue eyes piercing through your skin. He lunges forward and a gasp escapes your lips. His cold fingers violently cling around your neck, yanking you closer to his face.

"Don't you ever get mouthy with me again, understand? I'll snap you like a fucking twig without blinking."

He holds his gaze for a moment or two before releasing his grip. You fall to the floor, coughing hard, trying to catch your breath. He storms off, leaving you alone in the cold, isolated room. A tear rolls down your cheek, solidifying your fear. And yet, you can't hide the strange feeling in your stomach: Butterflies.

"WHY THE FUCK IS SHE UNTIED, BARNES?"

"DON'T FUCKING YELL AT ME, ROGERS!"

Romanoff finally bursts, "THAT'S ENOUGH!"

The house gets so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. Without saying a word, Barnes grabs his Maven leather jacket and storms out, slamming the door in his wake.

Rogers stares you down, taking strong strides towards you, "Put your hands up."

You slowly shake your head, "N-No."

He freezes, shocked at your apparent courage, "NOW!"

The room shakes at the boom of his yell. You whimper as you shake your head slowly, gently, as if to say "Please, please don't do this to me again..."

Rogers grits his teeth and pulls out a pocketknife from his suit, swiping your knee with the sharp blade. You let out an agonizing cry, sobs filling your chest.

He grabs your hands as you struggle against his grasp. The sounds of your heavy sobs fill the room as he aggressively ties your hands to the back of the chair.

"Please don't do this to me!" You beg through the tears.

"Please! I won't go anywhere! Pl-"

"ENOUGH!" His voice thunders from behind you. You seal your lips immediately, whimpering and sniffling under his grasp.

He shifts to your feet after tying your hands back, being more than aggressive with his movements. You feel weak and defenseless, like a tiny fawn surrounded by hungry coyotes.

Barnes returns a few hours later, finding you tied to the chair, wide-eyed with tears streaming down your face. He takes a step forward, keeping his strong gaze held on your trembling body. His hand feels cool against your cheek as he wipes away the salty tears.

Abruptly, he lifts his hand and walks away, leaving you alone when you feel the most vulnerable.

You wake up to the echoes of the men's rumbling voices from down the hall.

"What are we gonna do with her, Rogers? Kill her?"

"Fuck it, Barnes. Yeah, maybe I will, because that was our mission. We were told to kill her, not to keep her here for whatever reason."

"Damn it, Rogers. I'm tired of your bullshit excuses. If you really want her dead, then just fucking kill her and stop complaining."

Your body goes tense at that suggestion. To think that Barnes, the man who untied your hands against all odds, still wants to kill you makes every cell in your body freeze. You raise your head slowly, groaning in pain.

"And now she's awake. Well done, Barnes."

"Shut up."

Barnes pulls a chair in front of you and sits down, shaking his head.

"What?" You groan.

He smirks at your attempt at being fierce.

"Excuse me?" His voice is deep and wolfish, laying waste to your weak attempt to be ferocious.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" You lower your tone, wary of how you sound.

"Your knee. How did it happen?"

You look down at the dried blood atop your knee, turning to Rogers and raising your eyebrow, "I don't know, ask him."

Barnes huffs a breath before using his hand to thrust your chin up, "I asked you."

You swallow, "He grazed my knee with a pocketknife."

"Why?" His voice is stern, asserting his never-ending dominance.

"I don't know."

"Why." He growls, making your breath hitch.

"I talked back to him..."

He grits his teeth and clenches his fists at his sides, making your body tense up, "I-I'm sorry."

He remains silent but releases the grip on his fists upon hearing you apologize. As much as you fear him, you feel... protected by him. It's as if you know he won't hurt you.

But you don't. Truthfully, he can hurt you without question, that's the kind of man he is. He doesn't care if his dominance scares you, or if his voice makes you tremble with fear. He doesn't give a shit.

He rises from the chair and walks away, leaving you alone with Rogers. The room is silent, yet the silence speaks for itself. You shift in your seat, hands still tied back behind you.

"I'm- I'm sorry." Your voice is nothing but a mere whisper.

Rogers turns around, eyeing you up and down, "For what?"

Damn it. It's like they enjoy watching me suffer.

"For talking back to you."

He nods, clearing his throat before replying, "I know you are."