24: Ivan

It is not enough to be "good" at being a mafia man. You must be awake. Alive. Focused... all the time. No breaks whatsoever. The moment you lose focus, you lose control over the wheel. And as soon as you lose control over the wheel, the sinister world of death is suddenly closer than you could ever imagine.

"Looks like there's something for you in the mail... Any idea what it is?"

You whip your head around, "What? Why would there be something for me?"

"How would I know? Here, it's got your name on it."

Rogers hands you a small packet with nothing but your name in large red font on the front side. You arch your eyebrow, concerned as to what it might be.

"Are you going to take it?" Rogers asks, unsure as to why you are so confused. "It's under your name, you weren't expecting anything?"

"No... I've been off the grid for months now. I don't know who sent this, Rogers." You hand him the package, but he simply stands there.

"Just open it."

You roll your eyes and take the package back from his hands. With one swipe, it rips open, revealing nothing but a perfectly folded slip of paper inside. What is this?

Carefully, you remove the note from its home inside the packet and unravel it slowly, almost cautiously before reading the first line. Your eyes widen at what you read...

"Alexandra... It's been a while. We hope you have been adapting well to civilian life. It is undeniable that your years spent here were the most productive for us. You were, indeed, unbeatable... which is why we want you back. As you know, I am not one to be patient. If you do not return by the end of the week, we will find you ourselves. You know where to find us.

-Ivan"

You take a step back. No. You shake your head, trying to ease your conscience. Trying to make sense of the note. It can't be. Your knees go weak, and before you have the chance to catch your breath, you fall to the ground. Your entire world shakes. Everything is blurry. The grainy image of Rogers kneeling in front of you clouds your vision.

Ivan.

Your past is coming for you, yet again. But this time, it isn't just anyone. It is Ivan Dmitriev. The man who oversees the Red Room.

It takes a moment before you regain your conscience. Rogers and Parker sprawl to get water. Your mind goes back into overdrive.

It all comes back. Slowly... painfully. Fragments of your past life... before you met the Mafia. After you escaped the Don. Images flood back from your time spent in Russia with Ivan. The blood. The murder. The crimes you committed under his control. All of it.

You never wanted to do it, of course you didn't. But you still did it. You pulled the trigger all those times. You set off the bombs. You left children without their mothers. Their fathers. Sisters. Brothers. Nothing left... no family, no home.

And now he wants you back.

"Alexandra? Can you hear me? Alexandra!"

Your heart screams to stay. You must stay. If you leave... if you go back to him, there will be no escaping. It will all be over. You will go back to being a killer, a ruthless monster. Just like Don was. But Ivan... you know him well enough to never question his actions. Whatever he wants, he gets. He will stop at nothing and no one until he gets what he wants.

And he wants you back.