09: Champagne Thoughts

A/N

It's K again! If you're into playlists, listen to the first link in the "PLAYLISTS" chapter for parts 9-12. Trust me, it's worth it...

"Romanoff, you're securing the door. For obvious reasons." Rogers turns to you, making you shake your head, "Parker and I will spread out throughout the venue. Barnes will be near you, Alexandra."

You look around the group but fail to find him, "Where is he, by the way?"

Romanoff raises her eyebrow, "Why do you ask, Knight?"

You shrug, "Just wondering."

"Mhmm. He's already at the venue keeping an eye out for the Don."

You tense up, "Do you really think he's going to be there?"

"You don't need to worry. If he tries anything, we'll be there to stop it."

Her tone is soft, calming. To your surprise, her words make you feel... protected. By the mafia. Regardless, you make the decision to stick to Romanoff the entire night.

"Alright, let's get going, we're going to be late." Rogers leads the way out, opening the door to a white Rolls Royce Ghost among many other opulent cars parked in the lower lot. You climb into the leather seats, getting comfortable between Romanoff and Parker.

"You look sharp, Parker."

He looks you up and down slowly, "And you look lavish, Alexandra."

"Thank you."

As Rogers zooms down the unusually-quiet streets of New York City, you can't help but think about James. Although he's tough on the outside, your mind wanders to how he is on the inside...

"So, Alexandra. Is this your first fundraiser?" Romanoff interrupts your wild thoughts.

"No, I've been to a few before, just not in a while."

"I see."

Back to the thoughts...

As you stare out the window, you imagine his bare chest... feeling his core with your fingertips. You remember the way his hair was perfectly swooped back, waiting for your fingers to play with each strand. There's something about his dominance that constantly keeps you on your toes, unable to say no.

Enough of that, Alexandra. Focus.

"What do I do if the Don notices me?"

"Don't worry. We'll handle him." Romanoff says in a breezy tone. She doesn't seem the slightest bit worried that she might be killed for lying to the Don.

"Okay."

The car finally pulls to a stop at New York's largest building. The venue.

Rogers opens the door for you like a gentleman, eyeing you down in your dress.

"You know, Rogers. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were flirting with me."

He smirks, "In your dreams, Knight."

"You mean my nightmares?" You retort.

"Good one. Get going, now."

"Fine." You take a step next to Romanoff as your heart pounds furiously in your chest. You can't help but feel worried as fuck at the possibilities tonight. It's a good thing Rogers gave you that pocketknife before you left... Just in case Don tries to pull any tricks.

The four of you walk up the stairs and into the venue in your outfits. The men looking sharp in their bold suits while the women look luxurious in their dresses and heels. You can hear the faint sound of music playing from the ballroom as you walk towards the double doors. With one push, the doors open, revealing a crowd of people dancing to the soft melodies of the instruments.

The people look as if they are in a movie, some exchanging bored expressions while others danced the night away in their extravagant gowns and heels. Your eyes dart around in search of the Don, yet you can't find him anywhere.

Maybe he won't show...

"I need a drink." Romanoff announces.

"Me too."

You sigh as you grab a glass of champagne, watching it bubble through the glass. Raising the glass to your red lips, you watch the crowd dance the evening away. If only they knew the kind of man he really was...

Romanoff had gone to dance with some Italian man earlier, leaving you with nothing but your wandering thoughts. Although you want to have fun, you're left alone at the bar, with nobody to dance with. Nobody to twirl you around like royalty.

Nobody to sway you to the melody.