Part 27

The troopers pulled out two gunships and got them fueled up for the mission. Ahsoka and Jesse walked together toward one of them. "How did the Jedi take it?" he asked, having overheard part of the argument. 

"Obi-Wan understands, I think," Ahsoka explained. "It's Anakin who tried to object. I'm hoping he'll listen to Obi-Wan if he doesn't listen to me."

"You can't really blame 'em," Jesse said, trying to defend him. "Skywalker probably still sees you as the same kid he met way back when. He doesn't know what you've been up to recently."

She shook her head. "It doesn't bother me. It's just frustrating. Who knows? Maybe once we reset their ages, they won't remember any of this. If they do remember, they'll understand, and if they don't, the problem goes away."

He shrugged, seeing her point. "Either way, it's a win. You ready for this?"

"Absolutely. This has been fun, but I'm ready to get our Jedi back," Ahsoka told him, and she pressed a button on her comlink. "Command, check in."

"Five minutes to go, sir," the admiral updated her. "One of the healers from the Jedi Temple saw the report Kix sent them and replied with this message, and I quote, 'That's the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in my life. Please, for the love of the Force, do NOT send any more scans,' end quote."

Ahsoka and Jesse snickered. It probably was terrifying to the healers, who knew a lot more about the brain than they did, but to them, the reaction was slightly over the top. "Well, with any luck, we'll only have one more before we fix this whole mess."

"I thought Jedi didn't believe in luck, sir."

"Yeah, well... I beg to differ. I wouldn't be alive right now if I didn't believe in luck."

"Ain't that the truth," Jesse grumbled, putting his helmet on. Both of them stepped onto the gunship, waiting for the last troopers to join the squad. They still had a few minutes to load up, but the Lieutenant and the 'General' had gotten there early. 

Ahsoka looked out at the hangar. "I feel bad for leaving Rex and Cody to babysit, but someone has to keep an eye on the Jedi. I would have done it myself if Podek wasn't involved."

"How do you know this doctor? I mean, if she's a Separatist..."

"I met her while I was traveling, before the Inquisitor showed up," she explained, sticking to the normal cover story she used. "She's very enthusiastic about her work but not very loyal to the Separatists. If we can persuade her to come in quietly, I want to try."

He raised an eyebrow at her (under his helmet, of course). "Is this about the same time you met Grievous on your 'undercover mission?'"

Laughing, Ahsoka remembered what really happened. If only she could share everything. "I promise, I will explain that, but yes."

"You know, I kinda wish that story was true," Jesse told her. "Maybe if nothing had happened, it would be."

She sighed, letting her gaze drop. "I don't know how many times I've thought that."

"Then why did you leave? I'm sure there's a reason, but I never heard the whole story."

Nobody has, Ahsoka thought. Nobody except for Anakin, and he doesn't remember anymore. "I lost faith in the Jedi Council. I can't trust them anymore the way I used to, and I doubt they ever trusted me in the first place. Not really."

"Yeah, well, the Council's not here, are they?" one of the troopers on the gunship asked, looking around. "Doesn't matter to us."

The others called out their support, and Ahsoka smiled at their loyalty. "What did I do to deserve you?"