Part 31

As soon as Ahsoka and the last four clone troopers were out of the line of fire, the Republic cruiser began firing at the Separatist destroyer. With the shields down and no defenses left standing, it fell apart easily. If Dooku or anyone else came looking, all they would find was a field of debris.

The last gunship touched down in the hangar of the cruiser. Artoo was waiting for them, explaining that Rex and Cody had already dismissed the rest of the squad and that the Jedi were in the infirmary.

"Thanks, Artoo. Get some rest," she told her men as they took off their helmets. "It's a long jump back to Coruscant."

"Will do, General," Ridge said, smirking a little as he said it. Ahsoka crossed her arms, as Ridge knew full well that she was still a commander. There was no need to play pretend anymore. She couldn't help but grin, though. It had been fun while it lasted.

She walked with Artoo to the infirmary. Everyone was in the lab instead of out in the waiting room, so Ahsoka let herself in.

Kix was attending to the Jedi. Rex, Cody, and Jesse were all standing around waiting and noticed her first. "Anything?"

"The Jedi are awake," Cody updated her. "Kix insists that their brains are beginning to recover, but they don't remember anything yet."

"It took hours for the first regression to happen," Rex reasoned, crossing his arms. "Recovery might take just as long or even longer. We have no idea what we're dealing with here."

"What happened to Podek?" Jesse asked, noticing that Ahsoka had come back alone and rather quickly.

She shook her head. "Suicide. Poisoned herself right as I found her. There was nothing I could do."

The admiral called Ahsoka from the command center. "Sir, the destroyer has been obliterated. We are preparing to jump back to Coruscant unless you had other plans."

"No other plans," she confirmed. "Let the Order know we're on our way back."

"Yes, sir."

"Hey, you're back," Anakin realized, sitting up a little straighter in his medical bunk. "Where'd you go?"

"I was taking care of the scientist that invented the age ray," she explained. "How are you feeling?"

He shrugged, clearly bored. "Fine, I guess."

"A bit of a headache, but I'll live," Obi-Wan added from the next bunk over. "I see you convinced Anakin to trust you."

The clones in the room all looked at Ahsoka, who shrugged. "It's not like he recognized me. It's fine, don't worry."

The message was clear: don't question it. Kix returned to his work and explained what was happening. "Their memory should start coming back soon." He pointed at monitors that were showing live scans of the Jedi's brains. "The brain mass has returned. Now there's room for those lost memories to live again."

"And you're sure this will work?"

"We'll find out soon enough," he insisted, attaching one last sensor to Obi-Wan's head. "Sorry to say that the only thing we can do now is to wait."

Everyone decided to get comfortable. While they sat down on benches, Obi-Wan started asking questions. "In all this confusion, I've forgotten your name," he confessed.

"Ahsoka," she repeated, taking a seat next to Rex. "When we learned about your... condition, Master Yoda asked me to oversee the mission to get you back to normal. That was before we realized your memory was fading, though."

"How unfortunate. I take it we knew you before all of this happened?"

"Yeah."

"How did we meet?"