Chapter 5

/ Friday

It was June now, the end of the summer semester. The temperature was getting hotter. It was time for ice cream and cool drinks.

    After the midterm test, a summer vacation was ahead of students. They talked about this in class and off class as if the vacation had started.

"Yeji, want to come with us to the cafe later?"

The last class was dismissed five minutes ago and Yeji still sat in the classroom. She scrolled the phone and felt a little bit tired after a long day.

    The girl who asked her question was putting on makeup for the night. And there were other girls doing the same things. Some had changed their clothes.

"No~I am tired" Yeji said it with a tiny voice. She was tired, but what she thought now was meeting Lia.
"You sure? I saw you running on the hallway and playing with Yuna. You seemed pretty OK"

Oops, got caught.

"Yuna started first, you know, that girl never stops and never seems to be tired"
"Are you two cool now? She looked awkward around you yesterday"
"We are. Just a little misunderstanding" Yeji said.

"We are going to plan our summer trip, really don't wanna come? You are in the trip too!" The other girl pulled near a chair and sat down in front of Yeji, looking at her with a doubtful face.

"I can't.." Yeji was searching for a reason to free herself from here. Searching...
"ah, I got soccer practice today. I need to be there right now" she threw the cellphone into bag.
"A practice on Friday?"
"Yeah, course! The summer game was coming"

Yeji showed them the soccer she took out from under the chair. Then she held it and walked straight to the door.

    "See you~" She closed the door immediately and passed the hallway to the wall.

/

    Before Yeji got there, Lia had been waiting there. She stood beside her bike, a baby blue lady bike. She seemed a bit worried? I guess she was still affected by some of her memories.

    She checked the time on cellphone, and looked for anyone that looked like Yeji. And there she was, holding a soccer ball and trotting towards here.

    "Sorry~I am late. Did you wait a long time?" Yeji stood in front of Lia. of course, the wall was between them.
"I just got here, like ten minutes?"
"That's a long time!"

They sat down on the ground. Lia felt much relieved now because Yeji was here talking to her.

"Why are you holding a soccer? You have practice?"
"No! Who practices on Friday! it's just, umm, I have to bring it back home. Teacher won't let me put it in classroom"
"do you hold it when you sleep?"
"I can't sleep without it" Both chuckled

"Then, How's your school?" Yeji asked and drank from her water bottle.
"Nothing special. the temperature is going crazy. I can't stand it when I have lunch outside the building. It's much cooler now."

    Yeji looked at Lia and found that Lia had a pairs of adorable eyes. She looked at people in that soft and kind way. And she also had a low, soothing voice.

"You don't eat with your friends?" Yeji was curious.
"Sometimes eat alone and sometimes with friends. When I have something on my mind, I prefer to eat alone"
"You are so different from me! I can't eat alone, I can't stand the loneliness" Yeji said

They kept talking stuff like this. Casual, but both got to know each other more. They had a little difference on personality.

Yeji lay on the ground and crossed her arms under head. She felt comfortable listening to Lia and found it easy to say anything to Lia as well.