Chapter 35

Yeji's POV

December first. The winter giant visited old town last night and shook off the snow on his body.

It was the first snow in winter. Lia and I saw it on our way home last night. Under streetlights, we saw snowflakes falling down. The air was chilly.

It got bigger at midnight and covered the whole town in a thin layer of white icing at dawn. That looked pretty dreamlike but when you needed to get up in a snowy morning, you may wish it to be really a dream, but not real.

I wrapped myself in a blanket and got ready for school. I put the books into the backpack. On the desk, the picture given by the old man caught my eyes. It was three days ago. His words lingered in my head.

I walked out the bedroom and out the house. I wore a long padded jacket. The snow haven't stopped. People held the umbrellas in hands but I was okay with a beanie over my hair.

The bus came late. Dunno if this had to do with the chaos. I could see Anti members patrol with guns on the streets. Their trucks were parked at every crossroads. Schools were closed. The town looked bleak.

At school, before the first class, I was listening to songs on my seat. I heard Be Kind and the melody made me wanna sing along.

The teacher walked in and the test papers were passed down to us. Maybe I should both send my paper planes to Lia and Ryujin this time huh.

I got the papers but they weren't about tests. It was the notice of teacher-parents conference, which started next week.

"Remember, this is very important to you. We will discuss about your college and the entrance exam. Let your parents know what your plan is so that we can help you"

Mom and dad never cared about this stuff. I remembered I even went to my little sister's on behalf of them. They let us do what we want and rarely asked about it.

And speaking of university, I haven't told them about the audition. It was on the last few days in this month.

But that doesn't matter. I can tell them after the audition. They probably wouldn't be home till next year. I turned the papers into a ball and tossed it into the garbage can.

In the afternoon, Lia called me, which made my heart pound again. Did police broke in our home?!

"Yeji we won!" Lia exclaimed in the call.
"They broke the police's defense line. Anti won! We won the battle!" Lia was excited as if old town soccer team won a world championships.
"Wait a minute, you mean the wall??"
"I hope it is! but not yet. It's our first victory!"

I checked on my phone. Hundreds of headlines popped up on the screen.

A demonstration was held today at Christopher Park. The police tried to stop the crowds but the rage was like wildfire spreading through the old town.

Young people went on streets, workers went on strikes and nearly two thirds of the space in town centre was crammed with furious townspeople. The number was many times more than that of police.

The police retreated but people kept coming to them. They burned the police stations. The final defense line for the police was torn down. Anti took control of the town centre and areas around it.

"Babe, are you there?" Lia asked.
I was too absorbed in the reports.
"Oh yeah I'm here"
"I wanna celebrate with you at home, but dad said you shouldn't come now. It's dangerous"

Oh that's too bad! I thought we can throw a party for it. And perhaps by the time we wake up, there has been a hole on the wall.

I ended the call and walked out the classroom. I saw people on the hallway. From now on, you guys should start feeling afraid and panic!