𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐨𝐧𝐞. 𝑠𝑜 𝑐𝑙𝑜𝑠𝑒

Word count: 2849

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐎𝐅 them sat in the car that was parked just next to the police station, their nerves a little more heightened than usual and their minds on high alert.

It was just after ten in the morning, and the warm streets were filled with bustling people as they headed to work. The sun glared at them through the windows, causing them to squint their eyes as they peered out.

Diego and Five sat in the front of the car, with Diego in the driver's seat, while the two girls sat in the back, where they were constantly exchanging eye-rolls as the two in the front bickered.

"I know this Jenkins dude has to have a record," Diego said roughly as he unbuckled his seatbelt. He inspected the side-view mirror, checking out the pair of police officers that were conversing on the sidewalk behind them. "We gotta get our hands on this file."

"And your plan is to what?" Elizabeth questioned as she exchanged yet another incredulous look with Allison. "Waltz in there and just ask for it?"

"I know the station like the back of my hand, Goldie," Diego reassured her with a small smirk. "I've spent a lot of time inside."

"Handcuffed," Allison pointed out with a scoff.

"Whatever." Diego rolled his eyes before sighing and starting, "Here's the plan."

"Plan?" Five echoed as he furrowed his eyebrows and faced Diego. He shook his head as he corrected, "I'm just gonna blink in and get the file."

"No, that's not . . ." Diego shook his head. "You don't know the ins and outs of this place, okay?"

"I literally just did this yesterday," Five rebutted.

Diego's eyebrows furrowed as he questioned, "What?"

Five froze, his eyes darting off to the side before he corrected, "My yesterday, not your yesterday. It'll take me two seconds. Why don't I just go?"

"Listen to me." Diego peeked out at the side-view mirror once more as he firmly ordered, "You are not going in there."

"Agreed." Elizabeth leaned forward. "Five's an idiot."

Diego nodded. "Thank you."

She raised her eyebrow as she ignored Five's small scoff and continued, "Unfortunately, Diego, you are also an idiot. I'll go."

"What?" Diego turned around in his seat to face her as Five did the same, both of their eyebrows knit together tightly.

Five scoffed. "What's your plan, then?"

"Well, I turn invisible, go in, use my big brain, find it, boom, come back." She shrugged simply, Allison nodding encouragingly beside her.

"No, you're too young for this," Diego immediately refused as he shook his head.

Elizabeth slapped his shoulder lightly as she groaned, "I am two years younger. That's barely anything!"

"I made a call," Diego said firmly, shaking his head once more. "That's what a leader does. He leads."

Elizabeth muttered out a string of curse words as Diego left the car and headed towards the side of the police building.

The three of them soon followed him out, waiting at the front of the building while hoping that whatever shit plan Diego had would work.

In the meantime, Allison decided to use the payphone a few feet away from them to call Vanya.

"Vanya . . ." Elizabeth sighed as she and Five leaned on the wall of the building, a frown forming on her face as she watched Allison dial a number. "I miss her. I should go find her and talk to her."