𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧. 𝑘𝑙𝑎𝑢𝑠' 𝑒𝑠𝑐𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑑𝑒

Word count: 3886

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆, Elizabeth woke up, feeling someone nudging her arm. 

She had fallen asleep on the bed, having been sitting and leaning against the wall. Her back was in tremendous pain.

She looked over to see the cause of her awakening: Five had woken up and was now sitting next to her, his eyes anxiously watching her as she yawned drowsily. 

His hair was ruffled and askew from its normal neatness (although, Elizabeth found it rather adorable). His face was still a little sleepy, and his cheeks were a tad puffy from the alcohol the night before. She expected that he was already quite used to the hangover it gave him.

It was early morning, from what Elizabeth could gather. Cool daylight glowed from the high windows, and Luther was still asleep on the ground, his knees tucked into his chest. 

Elizabeth couldn't see a clock anywhere near, figuring that perhaps Tough Man Diego used his 'senses' (a watch) to know what time it was.

"Hey," Five whispered, seeing that she had fully awakened.

She looked over at him, letting out a small sigh. "Hi."

"Are you . . ." He swallowed nervously. "Are you still mad?"

She tried to keep her face straight as she responded, "No."

"You are," he sighed, looking down at his lap. "Shit. Elle, I—"

"You know what, Five? It doesn't matter. We have bigger problems," Elizabeth cut him off as she ran her fingers through her tangled hair in an attempt to groom it.

"It does matter, Elle." Five frowned. "And I—"

"Five. Where the hell were you?"

Luther was now awake. He got up from the floor and pulled up a chair, sitting on it as he expectantly waited for Five to give him an answer.

"It's none of your business," Five responded shrewdly.

"You're my brother. Your business is my business," Luther said sternly, his eyes hardening. "Where were you?"

"I . . ." Five sighed. He glanced at Elizabeth, who shrugged, before admitting, "Okay, fine. I guess I'll tell you about it."

"Good." Luther nodded. He furrowed his brows. "Wait, what? What's 'it'?"

"Listen, Luther," Five exhaled slowly as he moved to the edge of the bed, resting his elbows on his knees. "When I went to the future . . . all I found was destruction."

"So " —Luther's eyebrows furrowed— "what are you saying?"

"There's going to be an apocalypse," Five said blatantly. "The end of the world as we know it. Armageddon. Decimation. Cataclysm. Whatever you want to call it. Elizabeth and I've been trying to stop it ever since we came back."

"When's it supposed to happen?" Luther questioned, his eyebrows knit together tightly. "This . . . apocalypse."

"I can't give you the exact hour, but . . ." Five was silent for a moment as he looked down to his hands before continuing, "from what I could gather, we have four days left."

"Why didn't you say something sooner?" Luther inquired, a hint of anger in his voice.

"It wouldn't have mattered."

"Of course it would," Luther insisted immediately. "We could've banded together and helped you try to stop this thing."

Five's eyes flicked up to Luther, his voice low as he replied, "For the record, you already tried."