Chapter 7

You sat at the table beside Mark and across from William, stealing their food at every chance you got. Only the good stuff, though, of course. For once, you joined them in the cafeteria for lunch, rather than leaving for half an hour to make something or buy something from a restaurant and bring it back to make them jealous. You would always give them some of the scraps, but they were surprised to hear you weren't hungry. At the moment, at least.

"We're just friends." Mark said, rolling his eyes. You tuned back into the conversation, recalling that you had been talking about his new friend Eve, along with his stuff having to do with Amber. William rolled his eyes. "Will you stop saying that? It's like you're trying to jinx any chance you have of dating Eve." Mark frowned, exasperated. "A day ago, you said I had no chance!" You quirked a brow, butting in. "That was before everyone saw you leave school with her yesterday. Also, don't forget I put in a good word for you with Amber." Mark's shoulders sagged. "Everyone saw that? Wait- you talked to Amber?" You gave him a nod, to which he smiled for a moment before shaking his head. "It doesn't matter. Eve already has a boyfriend." William raised a brow. "So? You can be more awesome than him and take his place. That's how dating works!" You stole an apple slice from Mark. "Besides, now it's really a matter of choice. Who you're going to pursue and whatnot." William agreed with you, before then turning back to Mark. "Why are you so intimidated by her, anyway? Other than the fact that she's amazing and you're kinda basic?" You snickered, to which Mark rolled his eyes again, irritated. "Thanks for that, William."

As you were about to butt in again, Mark's phone buzzed. The three of you remained silent, watching as he pulled out his phone and frowned. "I have to go." He seemed serious. You nodded, understanding as you waved him goodbye. William did the same, but after he left, he turned to you, curious. "Go? Go where?" You shrugged. "Somewhere important, I think." William let out a sigh, leaning into his palm. "You know what, I don't care. It's probably somewhere he'll be alone forever."

To your surprise, Amber slid into the seat beside William at that moment. "Is Mark dating Eve Wilkins?" Straight to the point. William let out a loud laugh. "I wish!" He then turned to her as she gave him a blank look, with you staring at him as if he were stupid. And at the moment, he kind of was. "I-I mean, no. Definitely not. She's got a boyfriend. He is super available. Want his number? I'll write it down for you." He grinned, taking out a led pencil and clicking it. You laughed, rolling your eyes. "Dude, trying to play keep-up as Mark's wingman?" He tossed you a semi-playful glare. Amber smiled at the interaction. "No, it's fine. I'll get his number when I want it." William paused, not expecting that response. "Oh. Okay then." He set down his pencil as you took Mark's lunch, pecking at the remains. "So, Amber, what brings you here?" You asked, eating another apple slice from Mark's tray- he often did leave those for you. "Just wanted to talk. Where did Mark run off to so suddenly?" You shrugged. "Who knows." She frowned slightly. "He didn't tell you guys?" Both you and William shook your heads. "No, he's been up to a lot of secretive stuff lately. Y/n can confirm- they're practically siblings and not even they know what's up with Mark." You tilted your head, nodding from left to right. "I wouldn't say that..." William and Amber looked at you, questioning expressions on their faces. You purse your lips. "I mean- it's all work stuff. Not that serious. Well- kinda serious. To his dad. And him. And in general." They continued to stare with strange looks as you rambled on, anxiety filling you. You swallowed a lump in your throat, whipping out your phone. "Oh? What's that? Oh, well would you look at that! Someone's calling me! Gotta go guys, bye!" You scrambled out of the bench, hurrying from the cafeteria with your phone in hand.

You let out a relieved breath at the door closed behind you, looking down at your phone. Damn, what the hell happened to me being good at lying? A news report popped up on the list of your notifications. Another alien attack- that's probably why he left so quickly. Readjusting the strap of your bag, you continued down the hall, tapping on a live video of the battle. It was odd getting to see Mark fight, but also good to know how he was doing, and that- at the moment- he also had Teen Team by his side to aid in the fight. As you left the school building, still staring down at your phone, you saw them all get knocked down- even Mark- and you found yourself locked in your place, frozen on the pavement.