Chapter 22

Mark woke you up early the next morning, meaning that he woke you up only two hours after you had fallen asleep. "Get up! Dad agreed to help you train." Groaning, you waved him off, slowly rising from your slumber and wiping the sleep from your eyes. "I'm up, I'm up..." You muttered, frowning as you fought to stay conscious, blinking away the blur and tried to take in your surroundings. Blinking, you saw Mark in his suit, to which you chuckled. "Am I gonna get one of those?" Mark grinned, shrugging as he backpedaled from the couch. "I don't know. Depends how good you are." Rolling your eyes you got up from the couch, heading for the nearest bathroom. "I take it I'm either borrowing some of your clothes?" Mark appeared in front of you, a bundle of clothes in his arms. "Actually, dad got you some stuff." Raising a brow, you took the clothes from him, inspecting them with a hint of caution. It ended up just being a pile of some of your everyday clothes. You smiled, wrapping them in your arms. "Thanks Mark." You gave him a nod, to which he gave you a playful salute, flying back downstairs as you headed into the bathroom.

You came back down to the livingroom to see Mark and Nolan in their suits, to which you could only roll your eyes. "I feel out of place. Should I stop by a Party City and get a costume too?" Mark rolled his eyes back at you as you approached, punching your shoulder lighty. "Yeah, ha-ha. Very funny." You snickered. "It is funny." Nolan shook his head, a light smile on his face. "Alright, come on." He approached the sliding glass door, opening it. "Let's teach you how to fly." Mark flew out the door first, and you casually walked out behind him, muttering "showoff" as Nolan shut the door behind him.

Nolan flew up to be beside his son, the two of them looking down at you from a decent distance. "Do you remember what I said about flying?" Nolan called down, to which you nodded, shouting a "yeah!" up to him. "Good, then get up here." He waved you up, arms crossed and a smile gracing his features. Mark looked ecstatic, and antsy for you to start flying and get up there with him.

Taking a deep breath, you hopped in place, rubbing your palms together gently, as though comforting yourself. You squeezed your eyes shut, rearing back and bending your knees, preparing to lift off. Flexing what muscles you could, you jumped up from the grass, pushing yourself into the air. After realizing you hadn't fallen back to the ground and no longer felt solid ground beneath you, you pried your eyes back open, opening them to see yourself a short ways above the ground, slowly floating up towards Nolan and Mark. You grinned, looking up at them and pushing off of air, as though swimming through it, hurrying your ascent. "Good." Nolan nodded, surprised. Mark laughed, giddy and proud. "Yeah! You did it! Come on- let's head over to the field." You laughed as he pulled you along, helping you continue your flight. "Mark, let go of them. They need to be able to fly on their own." Nolan held a hint of warning in his tone, at which Mark sighed, rolling his eyes as he let go of you, his hands in the air in mock surrender.

Once the three of you had arrived to be above the wide open field, you were reasonably good at flying. Better than Mark or Nolan could have ever expected- you had remembered almost all of what Nolan had told Mark when he had first begun to learn, and you had an odd amount of control over your flight. There was an odd feeling in your back as you flew as well- it was as though there were wings sprouting from it, controlled by your back muscles. You had asked Mark if he felt that, but he gave you a confused look and told you no. With that, you decided you should ask Bane.

"Bane?" You whispered, hand close to your face so he could hear. "Are you helping me fly somehow?" A moment of silence passed, and you thought maybe Bane was sleeping, or perhaps he couldn't respond in his ring form. "Perhaps. But you are doing most of the work." You breathed a sigh of relief, glad to have heard his voice again. "Thank you. But why does it feel as though I have wings?" There was an airy chuckle. "That would be because you do. Or, at least, you can. Could." You frowned, slowing your flight without realizing. "What's that supposed to mean?" The feeling of disappointment brewed in him. "Hmm. Perhaps I should have explained the means to our bond..."

"Come on, slow poke! I thought you'd be excited to learn how to fly!" Mark yelled back to you, drawing you from your conversation with Bane. "Y-Yeah, I'm coming!" You rushed towards him, heading for the ground. On the way down, you made sure to slow down, as to not make the same mistake Mark had his first time around. Mark seemed upset but relieved at your safe landing. "Good landing. But next time, you should try to get to the ground quicker, balancing your speed and the landing." With a nod, you took in Nolan's criticism, hovering up and down repeatedly, as though testing it.

"You know how to punch. You taught me- but-" Mark held up his hands, bracing them for impact. "-I want you to test it out." You grimaced, unsure as you recalled the decay you had brought to Kayde. "Uh, I don't think that's such a good idea.." Mark lowered his hands, tilting his head somewhat, confused. "Why not?" You bit the inside of your cheek. "Well..." You looked to the ground, following the tips of your shoes, turning to follow your shadow. "That's why." The two Viltrumites looked past you to see that your shadow was met with decay, the area around your shoes lightly steaming with death. It was mostly hidden by your shadow, but when you stepped aside, it was easy to see. They stared with wide eyes. "How..?" Mark questioned, brows furrowed with worry. You shrugged, lips pursed. "I came back from the dead. Has its... effects."

After a moment of silence, you felt Bane tighten around your finger. "Get yourself to be alone." You frowned, but acknowledged his request. "Can I have some time alone, please?" Mark stepped forward. "Why-" He was cut off by the hand of his father, which had set itself on his shoulder. Nolan stared at you. "Take as much time as you need." His gaze was unsettling, but you nodded. He flew off with a gust of wind, Mark hesitating as he kept his eyes on you. With a sigh, he turned away, flying off to be with his father. You stared up at the two, watching as they soared north. There was a good chance Mark would be pestering his father about you for a bit, but what could you do? 

You held your hand up, looking at Bane. His form grew, and you held out your arm, allowing Bane to coil around it before dropping into the grass like a blot of ink, expanding into his more humanoid form. "What's up?" You asked him, your familiar standing with crossed arms. "You wish to learn your capabilities, do you not?" You nodded slowly. "They cannot teach you, for they do not understand. So, I will." Bane folded his arms behind his back, tall in his stature. "What abilities do you think you have?" You shrugged. "I don't know... I know I can fly, I can make things decay, kill things by touching them.." You shuddered as you thought back to the incident with the murderer. "So, uh, three things, so far." He hummed curiously. "Flight isn't something you were given." You frowned. "Then how come I'm able to?"

"Your blood.." He began. "It was altered in your death." Your eyes widened. "What? How-" you paused, shaking your head. "How?" Bane's gaze drifted skyward. "The one you call Nolan, I believe. There are hints of his blood cells in you. In death, you were altered by them, killed by them, and in life, they were gifted to you in the form of his abilities. Only through your resurrection could this be possible."

A long whistle escaped your lips. "Well, shit. What else can I do then?"

"Would you like me to list them?"

You shrugged. "Sure."

"You have the abilities of a Viltrumite, which includes flight, incredible strength, speed, and invulnerability.

"The abilities of being Death Sworn are to bring back undead, control the undead, cause decay with touch. Being Death Kin adds the potential to bring back the dead fully, as long as they've died recently and have not decayed, kill with a touch of decay, and resurrect your own self.

"And lastly, our bond as familiar and beholder grants you the abilities I hold for myself, which would be shapeshifting."

With wide eyes and sweaty palms, you nodded, running a hand through your hands nervously, trying to calm yourself. "Yeah, yeah, that- that sounds cool." You muttered, tone high-pitched and nervous. "They can only teach you what it is to be a Viltrumite. I will teach you what it is to be Death Kin.

"And that training shall start now."