Chapter 11

After a day of staying at the hospital with Brian and Colin, you got a message from William, of all people.

Will: Hey, Mark told me some really bad shit happened

Are you willing to talk about it?

You smiled softly- it was late, so both Brian and Colin were asleep. Everyone but you and your little bubble, it would seem.

Y/n: Yeah, me and Parr got attacked at a crime scene

He almost died

Will: Holy shit, do you wanna call and talk about it?

Y/n: Yeah, that'd be nice

You stood from your chair and left the room, remaining in the hall as the phone rang. "Y/n?" You let out a breathy laugh, feeling oddly awkward. "Hey, Will." You whispered, making sure to keep your voice down for the sleeping occupants of the hospital. "So, tell me all of it. As much as you're comfortable with, at least." You smiled. "Of course." You took a breath. "So, you remember Detective Parr?"

"The detective you work with? The one you see as family?"

"...Yeah..." You gave a rueful laugh. "We were both attacked at a crime scene I wasn't supposed to go to. But because of me, he gave in and found a time we could go without anyone else around. And in the end, as it would turn out, the murderer was still there. And he... he..." You found that tears were streaming down your face, the panic and fear of the moment coming back to you. "He almost killed Parr. I thought he did. His heart was barely beating." The end of the story finally escaped you in sobs as you held a hand to your mouth, trying to silence them. "Oh my god, Y/n, I'm sorry. Fuck- that's horrible. Are you guys okay? Do you need anything? Want me to sneak over there and give you a hug, or something? Maybe some food?" You shook your head, taking a moment to breathe before replying. "N-no, no, it's fine. He's okay. He'll be okay, he's recovering at the hospital. I'm here with him and his husband."

"Oh, well that's good...But are you going to be okay?" Leaning against the wall, you sniffled, wiping your eyes. "I... I honestly don't know. I talked to him about it, but I honestly can't help but blame myself for the whole thing. I mean- I'm the reason we went down into that fucking cellar and found the guy!" You found yourself ready to break down again, and William seemed to hear it in your voice. "Hey, hey, hey, hey- don't talk like that. Even if it was your fault, it's okay. Everything turned out okay. Even if there was that chance it wouldn't have, it did. And that's all that matters now. What matters for what happens next is whether or not you take this experience as a way to drown yourself in self-loathing, or as a lesson."

Letting out a breath, you nodded to yourself, taking his words graciously. "Yeah.. I guess you're right. It'll take me time to really think about it that way, but yeah. Thanks." You heard the smile in his voice as he responded. "Anytime. Dr. Clockwell is always available!" You snickered at the silly way he had said "Dr. Clockwell," wiping your tears once more. "Yeah, well, thank you "Dr. Clockwell," but I believe we should be going to sleep now."

"I agree. I prescribe you a full night's rest!...Okay, I'm gonna stop with that voice now.

'Night, Y/n."

"Goodnight, Will."

__________________________________

It didn't take long for Brian to become well enough to get back to work again. Your talk with him definitely helped you feel better about things, and Cecil had covered enough of the case and what had happened to make sure that neither of you lost your jobs. Hell, from what it seemed, the director barely seemed to even know that the two of you were involved.