Chapter 12

"Good luck man! Go say goodbye to your girlfriend!" You waved Mark off as he left out his backyard, looking back at you with a playful frown. "Shut up! But I will, so bye!"

Letting out a sigh, you went back inside to be greeted by Nolan and Debbie bickering. "So, what now? Mark's gone..." Their attention was drawn to you, the two of them looking to one another as Debbie smiled softly. "Well, Nolan and I were thinking about traveling. We'll probably leave in a few days. If you'd like, you can come with us." Her smile was in her voice as she spoke, seeming as though she'd be happy to have you along. Nolan, on the other hand, seemed as though he were hiding a hint of disappointment. You laughed, knowing that he likely wanted to spend time with his wife for the next week or two. "No, it's fine. Thank you for the offer, though." Debbie walked from her husband, who she had been right beside, and headed for the stairs. "Well, if you change your mind, let us know." You nodded. "I'll be sure to do that." Debbie went upstairs then, leaving you alone with Nolan.

You pursed your lips, not knowing what to do. Nolan was making no moves to leave, and you had nowhere to go for the day, so you would likely remain there unless something came up. "Now it seems I have to ask myself what I'm going to do, huh?" You chuckled, a little saddened by Mark's leave. "Hey, if you really want to go with us, you can." Nolan said, setting a hand on your shoulder, you shook your head, shrugging it off as you headed for the couch. "Nah, it's fine. I'll find something to do..." You scratched the back of your neck, a chill of anxiety coming down on you. "...and probably deal with whatever's been going on with me lately." Nolan quirked a brow. "It's still happening?" You slowed your breathing, massaging the bridge of your nose as you nodded.

As of late- since you had killed that murderer in whatever method you had used- you had been feeling waves of pure addrenaline and cold sickness. Some moments were better than others. Sometimes it would be a small underlying feeling of dread, a small pit nestling within your stomach. But other times it would be a full on barrage of nausea, migraines, cold sweat, and, more often than not, you would feel death. As if it were an entity, tickling your stomach and spine, toying with you and enjoying your suffering. You found yourself often curling into a ball in those times- going fetal and sometimes passing out due to the exhaustion the feeling would bring. One time- more recently- you had looked in the mirror as it began, and found the whites of your eyes dark, as if you had spilled eyeliner in them. At first you thought they may have just been panic attacks- that was until you saw the eyes. Now, you were growing concerned for the consequences that might have been around the corner due to your killing.

Nolan had left for a moment, and came back with a painkiller. You nodded in thanks, pressing the pill to your tongue and swallowing it with a glass of water that had been resting on the living room table. This had been becoming a routine between you and the Grayson's. You feared you might run them out of painkillers on your own. "I'm starting to think I should go to the doctors. This is getting really hard to handle on my own." Nolan sat down on the couch next to you. "Maybe, but only do that if you feel it's absolutely necessary. Sometimes this thing just happens- to teenagers especially, from what I've heard." You raised a brow. "Really?" He nodded, reassuringly. "Yeah, I think it has something to do with stress." You let out a breathy laugh. "That would make sense. But..." The image of your blackened eyes and bright iris flashed before you. It probably wouldn't be best to go to the doctors because of that part of it. "..." You left your sentence unfinished as Nolan, rubbing your shoulder. "It'll be fine." He gave you a quick smile before leaving up the stairs, likely to where Debbie resided.

A shaky breath left your lips as you curled into yourself, muttering. "I sure hope so."

_______________________________

Even without Mark, the Grayson's felt nice to be with- albeit a hint more awkward. To you and you only, though, since both Debbie and Nolan seemed to enjoy your company. You weren't entirely sure why, but you decided that while they remained there, you wanted to stay with them. Perhaps it was still trying to grasp at the fading comforts of having company in the residence in which you slept? You could also always go to the Parrs' place, but, to put it simply, the Grayson's household felt more like a home to you than the Parrs'.