Chapter 8

Mark was getting better, with his dad being back and all. You were still a hint uneasy about his return, but things seemed to be getting better between Nolan and Mark, so you let it slide.

You were with Mark and William again, hanging around at school. Things felt oddly normal, but at the same time completely out of place. Turning, you heard shouting and yelps of annoyance, and you quickly found out why. Mark and William did, too. Todd was shoving his way through the sea of teens in the hall, bee-lining for Mark. Here we go again. Mark was the first to speak up- it was his business, after all. "Look, Todd. Why don't we just-" Todd immediately cut him off, stopping in front of him. "Shut it, Grayson!" His eyes darted left and right as he leaned towards Mark, murmuring something. Mark frowned, squinting in his confusion and shock. "What?" Todd huffed, leaning in closer and mumbling again. "I'm sorry I kicked your ass." Mark seemed to be catching on, and smirked a hint. "I don't know what you're saying." Todd pushed Mark against a locker. "I'm sorry I kicked your ass, okay?" Mark tilted his head, looking at you and William, to which you shrugged, just as confused as him. "Oh. Thanks, I guess?"

"Amber Bennett also wants to know if you'd like her number." Todd seemed to be on a mission to make everyone as confused as possible at the moment. "What?" Mark questioned. Todd's anger increased, which masked his clear embarrassment, and what could have even been fear as well. "Do you want Amber's phone number, nerd!" Mark nodded slowly. "Yes, but why are you-" Todd leaned in again, voice low. "Because she found some old photos of me, okay? Photos she said she'd delete if I did this one stupid thing, and then never talked to you again." He shoved a crumpled piece of paper into Mark's chest. "There. Have a crappy life with her." He turned and began to leave, muttering under his breath. "You both suck." You smirked, calling out to him as he left. "Photos of what, Todd?" He scowled, jabbing a finger back at you as he continued on his way. "Don't push your luck, L/n!" You laughed, a part of you feeling a little bad, but also like he completely deserved it.

Mark's phone rang. He immediately picked up. "Amber? I-I mean, uh, hello?" You snickered for a moment, watching his red cheeks fade as his embarrassment get swapped for seriousness. Somehow, you already knew what was up. You patted his shoulder, mouthing to him, "go." He gave you a smiled and nodded, mouthing a thanks as he left. "What's that about?" William questioned, walking up to be at your side as Mark jogged down the hall. "Work stuff." William crossed his arms. "Jeez. You'd think he would have set up some sort of schedule that would work around school. Not through it." You shrugged. "It's spontaneous. I don't think he gets a choice in it all."

A minute or so later, you got a notification. Pulling out your phone, you leaned towards William. "Another attack by the Flaxans." He stared at your phone, brows furrowing as he read through it. "Is there live feed?" You smiled, scrolling through the news feed. "Of course there is." You opened the video, watching as the Teen Team and Mark- Invincible- fought off the Flaxans. Your brows furrowed as you noticed the new weapons the aliens had. "They've advanced..." William grimaced. "That's worrying. Wonder if the Guardians of the Globe or Omni-Man will actually show up this time." You paused, remembering what Cecil had said. "Yeah, I hope so." You replied in a disheartened tone.

You watched with William, anticipating the worst. A part of you knew that if things got too bad, Cecil would stand in and do something about it. But only if it were absolutely necessary. It felt necessary to you at the moment, watching Teen Team and Mark get beaten down, but there was nothing you could do but watch with your nerves. "Fuck, man." You muttered, watching as they all got pinned down- Invincible especially. "If it was as bad as you're making it seem, we would be out of school. Or I would be, at least. So it's fine." You nodded, taking Williams words of reassurance the best you could as you continued to watch. To your relief, you saw a flash of red fly through the air. "Omni-Man- thank god." You let out a massive sigh of relief, laughing off William's odd look. "Oh, come on. Since when did you judge me for being a worry-wart?" He pushed your phone down so that you'd actually look at him. "Since now. You've been getting a lot more nervous whenever there's an attack going on. Usually you just watch these things for entertainment- but now you look as though you're going to start pulling your hair out." You pursed your lips, not meeting his gaze. "Well, let's just say I had a bit of a wake up call, okay? I'm gonna go to work now, alright man?" You turned and began to walk away, feeling him watch you leave as he muttered, "Alright, "man"" and sighed.