Chapter 17

"Hey, kid? Kid, wake up!" Frowning, you brought up a hand to wave the man away, blinking away the sleep in your eyes. You were still on the train. You were still dead. Sighing, you wiped your eyes, finding tears. You laughed, crying more as you remembered what you had dreamt. "Oi! What're you crying for?!" The man exclaimed, confused. You waved the man away, sniffling and sobbing as you fought to keep a smile on your face. "It-It's nothing. Just a dream." With puffy eyes and a stuffy nose, you quieted and calmed your sobs, although tears still slid down your cheeks, wetting them. "What the hell did you dream about?" He asked, arms crossed as he queried a brow. "My friends and family. How they reacted to my death. There hasn't been a funeral yet, though."

Looking out the window, you found your surroundings to be completely different- that of a swampy grassland with the occasional trees at the dead of night. Oddly enough, even though you were in the land of the dead, the plant life appeared to be lively enough. Although you could see the glowing spots of what you somehow knew were zombified corpses. Kayde frowned at the other end, staring at the wandering bodies. "What is it?" You asked, only for him to let out a grumble. He pointed at the figures, fingers pressed up against the window. "That's one of the sections of Limbo." He paused, leaning back again and crossing his arms, closing his eyes. "Though, it still looks like Hell. I mean, that's where we are, but still." You let out a breathy laugh, leaning back into your seat, but still stared out the window. "How long was I out?" You asked. The man seemed hesitant to answer.

"Well.." He scratched the scruff of his dark and thin beard. "I'll be honest- a week. Scared me a little, thought you might have died a second time." Your eyes widened. "That's possible?" He shrugged. "I dunno. Probably not. Just a figure of speech." You made an "o" shape with your mouth, leaning back again.

The door at the end of the train car slid open, revealing the Conductor- or at least a man who looked exactly like him, but with a waiter's uniform instead. He stopped before the two of you, smiling politely with an odd warmth. "For you, Death Kin." The Conductor- or the Waiter- handed you a black and silvery ring shaped like a snake. "He asked to be returned to you in this form. Also, we will be stopping soon, as per his request." You took the ring as the Waiter left, holding it gingerly. "..Bane..?" Kayde huffed. "That's why he started slithering away all of a sudden. Figures. Doesn't wanna have to deal with being harassed along the way." You frowned, not at Kayde, but the ring Bane had become. "You said you wouldn't help me..." You whispered, curious and confused. There was no response, so you instinctually slipped the ring on. It felt as though it coiled tighter around your finger as you put it on, but you paid no mind to it.

With an awkward jerk forward, the train screeched to a halt. You looked outside to see that beyond the grassland there was now a wall of trees- a forest. Kayde didn't seem to like the sight of it one bit. "Oh no. We are not going out there." He said as you stood, only for the man to harshly push you back into your seat. "Why not?" You questioned, only for Kayde's response to be interrupted by the sound of an intercom.

"Y/N L/N AND KAYDE [REDACTED]. YOUR STOP IS HERE."

You stood again, nonchalant, the only question on your mind being- how the heck did they say [REDACTED] like that? You flinched, hearing it in your brain as well. What the fuck. Nonetheless, you shrugged it off, looking at Kayde. "Come on. It's our stop." The man pouted like a child, planting himself in his seat and crossing his arms sternly. "There is no way in hell I am getting off this train just to go into-"

The two of you blinked and you were off the train, standing on the tracks with the train long gone. Kayde whirled around left and right, searching the area for the train with bewilderment. "WHAT THE FUCK!" He threw down his hat, seething. "Conductor, you mother-" He was interrupted by the motion to his right, which he quickly discovered was you wandering down into the tall grass. "What the fuck are you doing?! You're going to get yourself killed!" He yelled, remaining on the safety of the tracks. Staring into the great beyond that was the forest, you called back to him. "We were stopped here for a reason. Together. And Bane made sure of it." Your eyes flickered down to your ring. "Nothing bad will happen to us." You looked up at him from within the grass. "Trust me." Upon there being no imminent danger, Kayde let out a loud breath of air, putting his hat back on and sliding down from the tracks into the grass. "Which way, "special one"?" He asked, sarcastic. You could tell the man was terrified, though.