Chapter 23

You got a text around 30 minutes later from Mark that said that he and Nolan had gone off to do something else, and that if you needed anything, to text or call him. On one hand, you were glad of it, since it would give you more time to train. On the other hand, you wished he had come back, because without his interruption, that meant more training. And Bane was a surprisingly brutal teacher.

"Get up. You must try again."

Bane stood before you, his shadow looming over your hunched over form. You coughed, wiping blood from your lip as you stumbled to your feet, nearly tripping back to the ground. "How much- how much longer do we have to do this?" You panted, sweat dripping from you and mixing with the dirt that had crusted itself to your skin and clothes. "As long as it takes." Brows creased further. "The Grayson's- they'll get worried. I can't be out here past dark." Bane hummed, seeming to agree somewhat, crossing his arms and bringing a hand to his chin- or at least where his chin would be- pondering something. After a moment, he sighed. "Let us return so you may rest." You smiled, letting out a relieved breath of air. "Thank you." A pause and your smile fell.

"Uh, do you remember the way back?" You questioned, nervous laughter escaping you. Bane sighed, pressing fingers to his temples. "I will direct you. But you must be the one to fly." You nodded, giving him an "okay" as he turned back into a snake, snlithering around your arm and shrinking as he coiled back into his ring form.

Pushing off from the grass, you met with the starry sky. "Head east." He told you, to which you slowed to a stop, holding your hand up. "And which way would that be?" He sighed. "To your right." You smiled politely, turning right. "Thank you, Bane." He groaned softly in response, irritation of your training seeming to get to him.

"So, about the whole shapeshifting abilities..." The two of you had only been working on your death sworn abilities, such as causing death and decay. But you were more interested in being able to shapeshift like Bane. With how cool he looked whilst doing it, you couldn't help but want to do it as well. "Would I be able to give myself wings?" You questioned, rolling your back as though imagining having wings as you flew. "Yes, but shapeshifting is a process that takes time to get used to. Not just the transformation itself, but the adjustment to the shapes your morph into." With a slow nod and an "oh" you believed you understood.

A yawn escaped your lips, eyes drooping. "Can't wait to go to bed..." You muttered, your flight slowing somewhat. Blinking, you noticed an odd light coming from below you. "What...?" You squinted, rubbing your eyes. "Why is it getting bigger?" Your eyes widened as alarms went off in your head and woke your dreary self, bringing you flying away from the bright object. With a yelp you dodged to the side, a cylinder flying past you. Whirling back to face the ground, you scowled. "Hey! Watch-!" Another cylinder flew up and hit you dead and center, latching onto you and keeping you from moving. "What the hell?!" Unable to move, you began to fall from the sky, panic filling your chest. "Bane?!" You screamed, crying out for help. "I cannot save you from everything, Y/n. You can get out of this." With quick breaths you tensed, knowing what he meant. "Okay! Okay!" You said this to reassure yourself more than him.

Using the tips of your fingers, which remained just barely unrestrained, you felt around the metal you were cased within. Your body turned towards the ground, wind whistling in your ears as you barreled towards the ground. Banging and pressing your hands against the metal, you bled decay into it, rusted black forming in rippled blotches. The steel cracked, beginning to give way. You were so close to the ground now- the rust wasn't moving fast enough. Tears rose from your eyes, adrenaline pumping through you as you fought against the constraints, wrestling with them.

I don't want to die again.

You could reach out and touch the trees now.

I don't want to die again!