CHAPTER 50

I chuckle anxiously as my literature friend pats my back, the girl smiling at me. "Don't worry Iseul. The grass isn't damp, nor do I think it'll rain. You'll be fine."

We stand near the podium as the science majors just finished their graduation speech, allowing me to go up. I give her one last anxious look before she cheers for me, everyone clapping as I enter the stage.

My hands tremble as I set down my speech—knowing damn well I'm the last one to go. You know, I didn't agree to this. My major friends just decided that "Oh! well, Jae Iseul can go last. She's such a great writer, blah, blah, blah—" 

No, guys. I'm the worst writer ever.

"Hello everyone, I'm Jae Iseul, the candidate... speech thingy for the literature major speeches," Everyone chuckles at my stupidity as I beg to keep my cap on my head, looking down at my speech. "As stupid as it'll sound, I don't really want to leave college."

"People say they can't wait to graduate because the exams are hard, no more mock tests, no more final projects—but honestly, between those hardships, I found friends and people in my major and also outside of it... that I've depended on so much," I grin, eyes trying to find a certain place in the crowd that could help me focus. "They've taught me how to keep myself together, how to actually focus on graduating. I always had my head up in the clouds, but as I inched closer to graduating, they've taught me that sincerity and choice go a long way."

"At first, I was super scared to enter the real world. I was eighteen when I graduated high school on a limb, but here I am, an advocate for the literature major. I was tutored by my own boyfriend just to get here," Everyone laughs once more as I scratch my head awkwardly, clasping my hands together. "And I'll be honest, from the time I entered being a literature major before finding my place at wanting to be a journalist, it was a complete mess. Graduating felt like hell because I didn't think I was prepared."

"But with a bit of hope, I'm here, standing on this stage, talking to the crowd of people and strangers I have no idea about," I nod, eyes grinning. "But that's okay because, from all your fellow graduates, friends, and lovers, we all know someone here who's had the same problems, relates to you the same way—and appreciates everything you've done. While we may not know someone by the way they look, by their personality, we're proud of who you've become."

"Good luck with graduating—and would you look at that, we're nearing the end of my speech and the end of college life!" I exclaim awkwardly, seeing that my speech is almost up. "That is all I have to say, fellow graduates. Stay strong as we inch closer to our dreams. From your fellow literature major advocate, Jae Iseul."

Everyone cheers despite my boring speech and I appreciate it lots—exiting down the right as the rest of the graduation passes by.

I get my diploma and a photo with the headmaster, someone familiar from the day the boys got into a fight. They give me a slight smile as I pass by, a squeeze on my shoulder as I take it as a sign to feel at ease.

Finally, everyone has had their names called and the ceremony—whatever it's called—is also ended. I yawn as I stand up, walking over to the girl who formerly cheered me up.

"Thanks, Yuri."

She nods happily, patting my back. "See! It didn't rain—"

Then, just as the rain starts, the words start to contradict my friend's former judgment. I widen as it pours and pours, a storm seriously starting. Luckily the graduation is already over, so Yuri and I part ways as I try to find shelter. The closest college unit was a runaway—but in this downpour, I wouldn't make it.

So, I accept defeat, feeling the cold rain consume my gown and cap. I chuckle as I stand alone in the rain by myself—everyone already gone with their families.