Chapter Three

***

"I've been upside down
I don't wanna be the right way round
Can't find paradise on the ground."

Taehyung stared at the monitor in front of him, writing down a few details about the patient's vitals on his file before giving it back to the nurse.

"Give him the medication I prescribed and check his vitals each hour." He explained, referring to the list of medication he had written down. "If he goes into shock and his vitals go lower than this, administrate magnesium and call for me or Doctor Min."

The nurse nodded swiftly, taking the file from his hands and watching him leave the room with hurried steps.

Taehyung closed the door behind him, then started walking towards the ER to see if his assistance was needed there. It was a busy day and he knew that his presence would come in handy in case something happened.

Once he got there, he was immediately called over by another colleague of his from the trauma department. Doctor Jung Hoseok was a relatively new colleague but he was experienced and Taehyung trusted him as much as he trusted himself—he had seen the man save people even he couldn't have saved. As skilled as he was, Taehyung's area of work focused on a person's heart and lungs whereas Hoseok's had no limits.

"Doctor Kim, please take a look at this patient. I believe that going into surgery right now is too risky but I wanted to hear your opinion."

Taehyung nodded towards Hoseok then took the file from his hands, carefully reading over the data written there. Indeed, that person had been suffering from a heart disease for more than twenty years and they were currently on medication—going into surgery without allowing his blood to clear up was indeed risky and Hoseok was aware of that.

"He's not in a critical condition right now so you can just stabilize him and observe his vitals for 48 hours. Going into surgery now is out of question since he's still on medication."

Hoseok nodded then wrote down a few things on the file before offering it to the nurse.

"You heard Doctor Kim. I'll check on him later."

Taehyung was about to turn around and check if his help was needed with another patient when Hoseok caught up with him, a large smile present on his face.

"So, how's your day going, Doctor Kim?" The man asked as they both made sure all the patients in the ER were stable.

Only one was in a worsening condition but Taehyung could see Yoongi talking to another doctor by his bed so he knew that the man was in good hands.

"You know, the usual. Stressful to say the least." Taehyung smiled towards a nurse who had greeted him, then took a turn, heading towards the cafeteria. "I certainly need a coffee and something to eat. Would you like to accompany me?"

Hoseok nodded, saying that he was on his way to the cafeteria anyway since he hadn't eaten anything that day at all. They walked in comfortable silence, none of them in the mood for small talk since they were probably both exhausted to the point they could just lay on the floor and sleep.

Once they reached the cafeteria, Taehyung noticed that something was different. Not many people besides the staff and the relatives of their patients visited that place and it was usually not crowded at all. However, as soon as they walked in, Taehyung could notice that there was a man, dressed in a probably very expensive suit, sitting at one of the tables, a cup of coffee which seemed untouched laying in front of him.

Around him, three more people who were certainly personal guards, stood and watched everyone with furrowed brows and intimidating eyes.

Taehyung didn't think much of it, believing that maybe he was someone related to a patient or just someone visiting their hospital. He simply shrugged it off, then walked towards Hoseok, who was already ordering. The girl behind the desk bowed politely once she noticed him, a gesture Taehyung returned.