Chapter Sixteen

Remember to check out SCARRED and BLACK ON BLACK as well.

And if you want to support my works, there's a link in my bio where you can donate a small amount of money (3$ or more if you wish to). I would be extremely grateful.

***
"There's gotta be another way out
I've been stuck in a cage with my doubt
I've tried forever getting out on my own
But every time I do this my way

I get caught in the lies of the enemy
I lay my troubles down
I'm ready for you now

Bring me out
Come and find me in the dark now
Every day by myself I'm breaking down
I don't wanna fight alone anymore

Bring me out
From the prison of my own pride
My God
I need a hope I can't deny
In the end I'm realizing I was never meant to fight on my own."

Taehyung stared at the number on the screen with furrowed brows, his lips tight as his finger hovered over the call button. He's been that way for at least fifteen minutes, wondering if calling Yoongi was the right choice at that moment.

Min Yoongi.

His closest friend and his right hand man in each successful surgery he's ever done. Ever since he's become a surgeon, Yoongi had been by his side—grumpy and always too serious, but still there.

Now that he knew the truth about his identity, all Taehyung could do was think about the years they've spent together. He wondered if for Yoongi everything's been a job, something he had to do, or if it was real—their friendship.

Seokjin had told him that Jeongguk never asked Yoongi to look over Taehyung and that the man had acted on his own motives but something inside him told him that wasn't true. Jeongguk had wanted to keep Taehyung safe and, if he couldn't be by his side at all times, who else would've been better if not for one of the strongest and maybe the most dangerous members of the Unit that wanted to take him down. Yoongi was the best choice he had. He was a surgeon himself and, that way, it wouldn't raise suspicion about Taehyung's identity. Everyone would believe that he was there to work, not to keep an eye on him.

Taehyung wondered if that was the truth or not.

He felt betrayed but, at the same time, grateful. If Yoongi had acted on his own, then that must've meant he had good reasoning.

"Calling him is not the best choice now, Taehyung." Seokjin spoke from the other side of the room, making Taehyung sigh because, damn him, he was right. "You can solve your problems later but now we have to figure out how to last without Mister Jeon's aid. The Katharsis Unit is getting close and, with all due respect, you cannot face them on your own."

Still staring at the screen, Taehyung squinted his eyes. His feelings didn't matter at that moment. He felt betrayed but Jeongguk's safety was more important and he wasn't going to allow his stupid heart to allow him to make more mistakes.

"I will call Yoongi. He's the only one who can face them."

Seokjin was on the verge of speaking, probably to raise his disbelief in his choices, but he pursed his lips in a line when Taehyung got up and walked towards the desk on which Jeongguk's phone was laid.

Taking it in his fingers and wiping the dust away, Taehyung tried opening it but it was blocked by a facial recognition process he couldn't exactly break through. With a sigh falling past his lips, the man strolled towards the door then walked the familiar path towards Jeongguk's room with Seokjin right behind him.