Chapter Six

***

"I wanna hide the truth
I wanna shelter you
But with the beast inside
There's nowhere we can hide

No matter what we breed
We still are made of greed
This is my kingdom come
This is my kingdom come."

Taehyung's eyes widened to the point he could feel tears form at the corners. Jeongguk didn't seem affected by his reaction, not even amused in the slightest bit, which made the doctor realize that the man in front of him was by no means an ordinary person.

"I'm sorry, what exactly do you want me to do?" He asked, looking at the other with furrowed brows and incredulous eyes.

Jeongguk simply motioned towards the file, making Taehyung's attention go back to it but that didn't answer his question. He could read the messy notes there but he couldn't understand what exactly the man wanted.

"Our authorized doctor does not have the abilities to perform such surgeries so our only choice was to seek out the best of the best. You, Kim Taehyung, happened to be that person. Now, as I said," Jeongguk leaned forward, his eyes boring holes into Taehyung as he stared at him. "you will perform a lung-heart transplant on me but, instead of removing my heart, you will attach a compatible and healthier one to my own. I believe you know what HHT is."

Jeongguk looked at him with expectant eyes, tilting his head to the side as if to invite him to offer his input about that procedure Taehyung knew too well.

Letting out a deep breath, Taehyung massaged the bridge of his nose. "You ran a background check on me, didn't you?" He asked instead of answering Jeongguk, which took the man by surprise for the first time because his eyebrows arose in a shocked manner before the man regained his composure.

"I did. It was a necessary procedure. I had to make sure you were the most suitable person for this task and, from your medical history and personal one, I am aware that you are." Jeongguk stopped, glancing at Taehyung with those irises that seemed to carry no emotions. "And I know you are aware of that as well. You have performed HHT before after all."

Taehyung nodded, realizing that there was no need for him to hide any longer since Jeongguk already seemed to know of his past. "Heterotopic heart transplants are very dangerous procedures on their own but the fact that you're asking me to to one while also performing a lung transplant seems unreal."

The man didn't seem fazed by his words at all. "You will be able to do it." Jeongguk stated, acting like he wasn't even seeing how nervous Taehyung already was.

"How do you know that?" Taehyung asked, anger starting to fill his body as he stared at the man ahead of him.

Jeongguk simply blinked at that but the look in his eyes changed for a couple of seconds. "Because I know who you are Kim Taehyung."

Taehyung's heart dropped at that but he tried to avoid showing any emotions as he looked into Jeongguk's eyes. They stared at each other for a few seconds, none of them backing down until Taehyung finally let a sigh fall past his lips.

"The lung transplant will take a lot of time." He stated even if he was aware that Jeongguk knew the details. "You need to heal from the lung transplant and only after a few months would I be able to perform a heterotopic heart transplant." Looking up, the surgeon met those dark irises. "From the state you're currently in, you do not have months to spare."

"I think you do not comprehend what I am asking you to do." Jeongguk explained, his voice stern. "I need you to perform the lung and HHT at the same time."