Chapter 1: A day in life...

Jace Carson

Jace Carson

The Gold Bar.

Elegantly plated, more than an inch broad and 4 inches wide gold embedding on the shoulder loops of my uniform, irrespective of the massive load of responsibility that it held, feels light in the palm of my hand as my eyes study it. Insignia of the Second Lieutenant (2LT/01).

Dark colored weather coat with gold buttons and stripes around the cuffs, the tiny little badges around the crest, and lastly, the pin on the right side of the chest that read 'Carson' in bright bold letters. It makes my stomach flip with the realization of the huge system that I am now a part of. The US Army.

Today has just been one of the days where I have to remind myself of the reason that kept had me together. Precisely, five months ago I had been out stationed in Colorado Springs at the base that our company had set up and has been so far working along rather greatly though, I wish I could say the same thing about me.

My emerald green eyes have been drooping with the lack of sleep at this 0400 hour. In front of me lay a pile of neatly sorted reports that I had been going through for the past four hours. As a Second (rank) Lieutenant, I had been given the task of preparing the progress reports of my entire platoon that consists of 25-27 men. With the continuous ticking in my nerves, the dull ache in my head and the sunken eyes, I managed to finish with them. But now as I lay on my rack, facing the high ceiling painted with dull white, sleep wouldn't cross me.

Its one of the odd times when I felt the indescribable wave of emotions flowing through me. And in order to get myself in control of it all, I had to clung tight to some piece of reality, that being the uniform that lay on my lap.

No sooner than an hour later I wake up to get going for the drills and routine exercises with the other officers as we have our secluded PT sessions starting at 0630 hours.

After getting dressed in a body-fitting black T-shirt and pants as I'm done with my shoes, I stomp out of my room to head out for my routine exercises. However, as I enter the ground, I am met with a disapproving look from the Captain, it seems that I was rather late today and all the others had already started with their workout.

As I took my place, squatting down to the field with my knees bend and back straight, I'm greeted by none other than my friend Nathan "Hey, what took you so long?" I give him a knowing look. With a pitiful smile thrown my way, he shrugs it off.

We begin with the workout.

150 laps.

250 squats.

200 push-ups.

After, a few sets and specialized leg exercises. We head for my personal favorite one. The 2-3 miles run alongside the base camp.

By the time we are done, I am panting heavily, my whole body drenched in sweat with aching joints and soaked T-shirt that clings to my body like a second skin. Now this is something I should've gotten used to ages ago. "Come on let's get cleaned up" Nathan says, offering his equally sweaty hand for me to get up from the crouched position I have on the floor.