Chapter 3: The Family Dinner.

Jace Carson

Jace Carson

The entire journey back home had been very unnerving, especially with Nathan and Ash constantly nagging me every second. The bribe of ice cream sundae worked well, but my victory was short-lived. Thankfully, it was a 2-hour journey, and I didn't have to keep up with their stupidity for long.

Upon reaching the airport we all departed with appreciative handshakes and respectful nods. There was a huge crowd of people waiting for their loved one's with smiles stretched across their faces and hopeful eyes trained at the entrance as we walked through. Wives, husbands, brothers and sisters all eyes searching through our crowd with a hurried urgency. The cheers and bustling in the air were so loud that it almost made me crack a smile until I realized that as always I had no one bearing a welcome sign for me. Nathan had his sister who came to get him, even Ash had a girlfriend who came every single time. And as strange as that might sound, yeah that dude has a girlfriend.

The two-hour journey had unconsciously worn me out. Deciding to get good hours of sleep was first on my 'to do list '. Catching an uber, I nearly dose off in the backseat throughout the way until my apartment comes into view. The huge 10-storey gray colored building with tinted windows, stood there tall and welcoming. Pushing through the luggage that I carried, I manage getting it to my place effortlessly through the stairway since the lift was out of order. It is almost 2000 hours now. So just as my door creaks open, I neatly place my luggage into the living room, and head straight for the bedroom.

The next day after taking a few good hours of sleep in my apartment, my day turns out to be pretty well. But the main highlight for me would be today's dinner. I fairly had an idea of what it was about, but I didn't want to sour my mood thinking over it again. I mean it's been almost two years now. There's no way that they could get that desperate. I sigh.

Printing & publishing. The Carson's have been into the business ever since I could remember. Five years ago, when my father retired from the Army, he had taken it entirely upon himself and invested almost everything that he owned to keep our business from falling down, he even sold off every single piece of property that my grandpa left for us. Surprisingly, after that the first few years went by pretty well as the business grew steadily. It wasn't anything huge but enough that he could open up a chain of branches around a few states. This went on for a couple of years or so, at least, until the Miller's came into the business. I don't remember much of what went around at that time but probably around last year, he had this crazy idea of merging in with the Miller's. I didn't have any issues with that as I never bothered to actually get interested in any of it. But it was when he told me that in order for the merger to take place, I had to marry some girl.

Without a second thought I had said 'No' and he's been onto me ever since.

On debating for a while about my clothes I finally settle on a simple white shirt with a black leather jacket on top and ripped black denim jeans. Black jacket brought out my eyes well. Looking good won't hurt, right? Just as I am ready, I head straight to my ford. It's a silver model car with a combination of black stripes to give it a simple yet classy look. I settle in and check my look on the rear view mirror, a habit I won't be leaving any time sooner.