Chapter 8: Vomit Comet.

Ashton Hendrix

Ashton Hendrix

I really hate the fucker who invented alarm clocks. Didn't that little shit have anything better to do?

With a heavy groan I smash the stupid machine shut. Looking around the room drowsily my eyes try to find the only person who makes getting up everyday worth it. But instead I find the room empty, her warm body no longer lying next to me. I furrow my brows in confusion.

It isn't like her to get up this early. Especially after last night.

Shrugging the thought away I scramble away from the bed heading for the bathroom to freshen up. After an hour or so when I'm ready in dark green joggers with a beige body fit shirt I make my way out of the room.

Heavenly scent of pancakes fills my nostrils as I immediately rush towards the kitchen.

"I made... " her soft voice begins gleaming with excitement.

"Pancakes" we both say in unison with a grin. Her baby brown eyes simmering in excitement as she lays the huge stack of freshly prepared pancakes drizzled with honey and topped with 2 scoops of ice-cream.

I could literally feel my eyes drooling along with my mouth. I gaze back at her then at the pancakes. Just when I was about to reach, I stop and pull my hand back.

Suddenly, realizing the hidden agenda behind this sinfully sweet behavior, I smirk.

"Is this a supposed to be a consolation prize?" for a second I could see the hurt flash in her eyes but I chose to ignore it. I almost fell for the trick. But with what happened yesterday I wouldn't say I'm surprised. She casts her head down in reply to my question but the wave of nervousness trembling through her body says it.

"You aren't getting away that easily." my transfixed gaze bores holes into her head.

"I-I.. truly I'm sorry." she looks back at me with guilt swarming in her eyes.

"You should be." I state firmly as the events of last night flash before my eyes.

"First you leave without telling me any shit. Then I get call from some stranger informing me my girlfriend is passed out on some pavement drunk as hell. And what do you do when I get you home. YOU FREAKING PUKED ON ME! THRICE! HOW BAD WERE YOU DRUNK?" I yell at her as she nervously takes a step back. Her big brown eyes glistening with tears as a soft sob erupts from her lips. I curse under my breath for yelling at her.

"I'm sorry. I won't bother you again. I just.. I was... in a bad place yesterday. "she inhales sharply before adding frustratingly "Just let me be."

She really has a mind of her own, doesn't she? Thinking all of this is the reason I'm mad at her. That's why she's been all distant from me. How hard is it to understand that I care about her?

"This can't happen Nera. You can't do this to me. I was worried sick after you left. I get it that you need some time to figure out things going on around you. And I understand me not being here most of the time to help you through it, makes it worse. But I can't do anything about it, it's my job. I know that this long distance takes a toll on you. And trust me I'm trying my best. But you just can't ignore me for this. Please just tell me what's bothering you?" I put my finger under her chin making her eyes meet mine.