| 𝟬𝟭 |

✿

Muffins, tea, and a letter — a peace offering and thank you — nestled in her basket beneath a small cloth as she rushed up the stairs leading to the inn.

"Hellooo!" Y/N strolled into the main room, dragging out her greeting and setting her basket down on the reception desk, startling Verr who had been doing paperwork. She quirked an eyebrow at the girl's arrival, leaning against the smooth wood and propping her head up on one elbow.

"Y/N? What brings you here so early? You usually come later in the afternoon."

"Can't a girl come to spend more time with her dear friend? I brought some tea leaves and mu-"

At this Verr sat up straight, hazel eyes narrowing as a stern look adorned her once quizzical features, "What did you do?"

"H-how about a blueberry muffin first? I made them this morning!" Y/N shoved a muffin towards her, teasingly waving it in front of her face.

"Here comes the wind glider~ nyooom—"

Verr rolled her eyes and snatched the muffin from her hand, taking an angry bite, "Delicious, now tell me what you did."

— ✿ —

"I even told you to be careful!"

Y/N only grinned sheepishly as Verr continued scolding her, droning out her rant and instead biting into one of the soft muffins she had baked earlier. The sweet, tangy taste of wild berries leaving her pleased.

Wow, I think I've perfected this recipe

"Well, the guy was kinda short. He had gold eyes and dark hair-"

"Ah, I know who you're talking about."

Y/N's eyes widened. Verr had quite the impressive skill; never forgot a face and knew practically everything about everyone in Liyue, even if she hadn't talked to them before.

She had come to Verr because she wanted to meet her savior again. In the blur of events the day before, she had forgotten to thank him — a fault that had been bothering her since then.

Verr glanced around before leaning over the desk and gently pulling Y/N towards her, cupping her hands around the girl's ear and whispering.

"He's an adeptus."

— ✿ —

She made her way to the top floor with a freshly made plate of almond tofu held carefully in her hands, fingers brushing against the smooth paper of the letter she'd taped at the bottom. Verr had informed her that he wasn't fond of socializing, and would probably not come to greet her.

As she walked up the wooden stairs, her heartbeat echoed in her ears, nervous yet excited at the same time about how their meeting would go about. It had been a miracle she'd been saved that evening, that and by one of the adepti. Highly respected protectors of Liyue.

Y/N walked out on to the balcony, e/c eyes settling on the scenery in front of her.

"Wow.." she gazed out in awe at the glistening water of the large lake, surrounded by cliffs and vast mountains. A few fishermen rowed their small boats back to the dock.

She hadn't been to this part of the inn, instead she was usually kept busy at the lower levels by selling various plants and herbs, helping Verr around the inn, and chatting with the guests.

"Hello? Guardian Yaksha?"

Silence.

She stepped away from the railing, "I just wanted to thank you properly for saving me yesterday."

More silence.

Heat flooded her cheeks. She glanced around awkwardly before gently setting the plate down on the floor with a sigh, turning back to lean against the railing.

A sudden breeze blew past, startling her as she whirled back around to find the plate gone. She blinked in surprise, brushing back the stray h/c strands of hair that fell into her vision.

She stared a bit longer, bewildered at how fast he'd appeared and gone, before her mouth curved into a smile.

"I hope you enjoy the almond tofu!"