| 𝟬𝟲 |

✿

A mouthwatering aroma wafts through the cottage as he sat at the table, watching as Y/N skillfully moved around the kitchen.

When she arrived home, she was surprised to find the adeptus asleep on the floor with Odette sprawled out across his stomach. Though he'd quickly woken up at the sound of her footsteps.

Fidgeting with the white cloth that adorned the light brown table, he ran his fingers over the little pink flowers sewn into the soft fabric.

When should I give it to her..?

"Xiao, may you open the window? It's getting stuffy in here."

He was quick to stand from his seat, leaning against the counter to reach the window over the sink, feeling bad that he couldn't assist her further in the kitchen.

He brushed passed Y/N on his way back to the table. An apron was wrapped around her waist while she sliced and diced the fresh vegetables he'd picked from the garden.

Cooking was far from his expertise, so he helped her out by picking herbs and vegetables, setting the table, and unpacking the groceries she'd bought at the harbor. Though he misplaced multiple items in the process before Y/N came to help him out.

"Don't worry," she'd told him, "Working in the kitchen is far from a chore for me."

He let out a soft sigh as he sat back down, Y/N shortly behind with two bowls in hand.

"Ah~ finally," She untied her apron, setting it down and joining him at the table.

"Hopefully the soup is to your liking."

Xiao glanced down at the bowl, hesitantly lifting the spoon from where it rested on the table cloth. Food was one way to indulge in mortal culture, and when he'd asked, Y/N suggested soup as a good way to start.

He brought the spoon to his lips, eyes widening slightly at the taste.

"It's good," he says at last, going back for another spoonful. 

His simple answer was enough. Y/N smiled happily, beginning to eat.

-✿-

She walks barefoot, a small lantern in hand as reeds of grass brush against her bare legs.

The soft jingle of wind chimes fill the silent void between them. Side by side, they walked on the trail once again, her quietness leaving him to think that he had done something wrong.

But then she comes to a stop, setting the lantern down on a rock before turning to face him.

"Xiao?"

"Hm?"

The flame flickers as she finds his hands in the dark, gently bringing them to her own.

"I don't treat you like I do just because you saved my life."

The night's darkness masks her flushed face, but she continues, reaching a hand up as the late summer breeze ruffles his hair.

"I genuinely care about you. So please don't forget that your welcome here anytime," She says quietly, tucking a few of his stray, colored locks behind his ear.

It's all foreign to him.

The confusion that comes with the warmth he feels within her presence.

How his heart skips a beat, breath hitching in his throat as her hand trails down to rest on his reddening cheek.

The way her hand perfectly cupped his face, and how the other fit perfectly into his own.

And he can't help but wonder, how could a mere mortal make him feel such a way?

As he's lost in his thoughts, she draws her hand away from his face. Reaching down to pick up the lantern with her free hand, she continues walking down the trail.

Xiao stares down at their intertwined hands as she leads him to the stream, a feeling of warmth blossoming within.

"We're here."

They come to a stop in front of the stream, her hand slowly slipping away from his.

"Are you coming by tomorrow?"

He nods, watching as her face lit up.

"Well, until then," she grins, turning on her heel to walk back to the cottage.

"Wait-" he reaches out to grab her wrist, gently drawing her back. Reaching into his pocket, he sets the small pouch into the palm of her hand.

He then mimics her actions, causing her heart to flutter as he brushes back strands of her h/c hair. In the dim glow of the lantern, he cradles her face in his hand, a sincere look in his honey colored eyes.

"If you ever wish to meet me, speak my name."