| 𝟬𝟵 |

✿

The evening breeze tousled his dark locks, his feet gently dangling off the roof he sat on.

He reached up to tuck a stray strand behind his ear, staring off into the Guili Plains, the night sky overhead littered with stars.

Liyue came alive at night.

From his spot on the roof he could see the liveliness of the event below. The warm aroma of food lingered in the air as vendors sold various Liyuen dishes like Crystal Shrimp and Fried Radish Balls.

The distant cheering of the crowd filled the night as a dancer strolled amongst tables filled by men and women, alongside laughter and chatter from guests in the main lobby.

Parties at Wangshu Inn went from early evening into the early hours of the morning.

He didn't partake in mortal gatherings.

Nor did he know how to.

He spent his hours on the top floors, which consisted of a dimly lit balcony and the room he stayed in. It had been kindly offered to him by the innkeepers years back, a token of appreciation for his tributes throughout the centuries.

This part of the inn was usually quiet, as the services and other rooms of the inn were on the lower levels. Occasionally, mortals would wander up, specifically couples looking for secluded spot.

Though it was only recently that he had taken notice of the amount of couples around him.

He'd never paid attention to them, but now he could easily spot several couples in the crowd below, walking hand in hand or swaying to the music from a live orchestra.

One twirled his lover around before pulling her close, their lips meeting in a kiss before resuming their dance.

An odd sense of longing came over him. He watched the duo for a few minutes, a particular person on his mind until the sounds of people drew closer.

As expected, a couple had made their way up to the terrace where he was spending his evening. They leaned against the balcony, the male talking as his partner giggled.

It wasn't long before he had her pinned against the railing, pressing his lips against hers.

Xiao couldn't help but suppress an abrupt chuckle. It wasn't new to him, the actions couples took part in. For he had lived for hundreds of years and witnessed the doings of many lovers.

Though, what was the purpose?

They were too caught up in each other to notice his presence on the roof. It seemed as though in the moment, they were the only people alive.

Xiao watched dully as things began to escalate, watching hands roam on bodies and the sound of a belt coming undone. He took that as his cue to leave, teleporting to his room on the very top floor.

It was fairly sized, with large windows all around the room, a vanity and dresser placed in one corner, his bed in the other.

He didn't spend much time in his room, nor did he have many belongings. Though recently, he'd been collecting a couple things here and there.

Items like bits of crystal ore and seashells, interesting trinkets left behind by mortals, and an old, beaded bracelet lay scattered on his vanity.

The first letter he'd received from Y/N was hung beside the vanity mirror. He'd read it often, running his fingers over the words written in now dry, black ink anytime he passed it.

He had mora, dropped behind by the numerous monsters he'd slain in his lifetime. There was never a use for it and they filled the drawers of his dresser.

But who knew when he might need it?

On his nightstand sat an old vase he'd found recently while out patrolling.

He may as well make use of it. Though the flowers he had picked were now wilted.

He didn't quite understand how to keep plants alive.

And he hadn't had the slightest interest in material objects until he met Y/N.

Everything he'd collected recently was because they had reminded him of her.

Xiao took off his boots, setting them on the floor before laying down on the bed, facing the windows to watch the stars.

He found himself coming back to the same question.

What is the purpose?

An image of Y/N popped into his mind. He could visualize her so clearly, her h/c locks, her bright, e/c eyes, smiling as she stood on the balcony of Wangshu.

He found his mind wandering. Letting his hand rest against the soft skin of her cheek, the other resting on her side as he brought her closer.

It felt so real to him, her soft lips on his, the feel of her dress beneath his palms as he gently squeezed her waist.

He made no attempt in stopping the thoughts until a few minutes had passed and he sat up abruptly, his face flushed a slight red.

The odd, burning sensation was quickly replaced with a tinge of guilt and anger.

I mustn't think like this..

She's a mortal

He sighed, resting his head in his hands in attempt to clear his mind.

They're only thoughts though..

He frowned, his figure dissipating into particles of blue and green until he had appeared in Guili Plains.

Glancing around, he caught sight of a newly built hilichurl camp up ahead. He began strolling towards it, summoning his polearm.

Don't get distracted from your duties.

hi hi !!  i dont normally leave an author's note but i just wanted to thank you all for the support :') for those who aren't aware, im usually very busy with school, so i dont post as much as i would like to. though, im glad u all enjoy the book and ill continue to try my best with writing chapters <3

expect a another chapter this month

- mimi