| 𝟬𝟳 |

✿

Y/N stirred, awoken by the golden hum of the birds chirping their daily aubade. She rose in the misty, early morning, eyes fluttering open as she gently kicked off the cover.

Though she was quick to pull the quilt back up as the chilly morning air met her body, rolling to her side and curling up into a ball.

She blinked slowly. Collecting herself from her sleepy haze, she thought back to last evening, heart thumping as she remembered the way he had brushed back her hair and-

"Oh archons-" Warmth rises to her face, causing her to bury her face into a pillow with a muffled squeal. She turns her head to find Odette staring at her quizzically.

Y/N huffed and defensively crossed her arms,
"Don't stare at me like that."

After laying around for a few more minutes, she got up, grabbing the f/c silk robe from where it hung on the headboard.

"C'mon, we have a busy day today."

-✿-

She lifted the tea cup to her lips, taking a gentle sip before lowering it down on its set plate with a light clink.

"How was your trip here?"

Across from her sat a certain purple haired girl, holding on to her own tea cup with both hands.

"My trip was fine," she mumbled, pausing to take a sip, "I saw a scary man. He fights evil outside the forest."

Y/N chuckled lightly, "Is he really scary?"

Qiqi nibbled on her cookie, "..Scary, but good guy."

The h/c haired girl nodded, a smile on her lips as she stood from her seat. Her "busy" day was simply meeting with her fellow herb picker, who had come by to retrieve the girl's share.

Though she had come for work, Y/N always welcomed the little zombie to stay a few, and they often chatted over tea and whatever goodies Y/N had baked that day.

It also wasn't a surprise that Qiqi had seen Xiao out in action. Y/N had seen few sightings of monsters around the forest recently, and assumed it had do with the adeptus's quite frequent patrols.

"Well, how about we prepare a gift for the "scary" man?"

-✿-

Qiqi peered over the counter, where Y/N had set the finished gift.

"Squishy.." she mumbled, gently poking at the almond tofu with a fork.

Startling at the sound of the front door creaking open, she fumbled with the fork before sliding it into the sink.

Y/N walked into the kitchen, a basket full of herbs in hand. "Oh, he should be stopping by soon if you'd like to wait for him," she gave Qiqi a small smile, setting the basket down on the counter, covering it with a cloth and handing it to the little zombie.

Qiqi shook her head as she grabbed the handle, "Baizhu told me not to take too long."

"If that's the case, let me send some desserts off with you."

With a neatly wrapped box of cookies and bunches of tied herbs nestled in her basket, the little zombie  took her leave, waving at Y/N who stood by the front door.

She waited a minute after Qiqi had left, staring at the empty trail.

When is he coming?

He was later than usual.

Despite her longing for him to visit, she was actually quite nervous. Had her boldness last evening bothered him? Did it disrespect him in any way?

He was an adeptus after all. Though for the most part, the girl simply viewed him as another individual, one she found herself close and comfortable with.

A friend.

But friends didn't make her feel this way.

Does he even view me as a friend?

"No no, I'm sure he does," she mumbled anxiously, walking into the living room in search of a book to read.

She had some time to pass, and reading would be a good way to distract herself from her wandering thoughts.

Right?

-✿-

"I can't anymore," she groaned after fifteen minutes. A frustrated sigh left her lips as she flopped back down on the blanket, letting the book rest on her chest.

She had decided to set out a picnic blanket and read outside, hoping the calm atmosphere would aid in distracting herself. Though it had failed, and the young woman found the thought of the late adeptus eating away at her mind.

"Hah, this is killing me."

'Meow'

Y/N sat up and turned to face Odette, who was curled up beside her.

"I'm not that dramatic, right?" Y/N asked aloud, resulting in Odette standing up and wandering off into the forest.

"Wow."

Y/N laid back down with a huff,  focusing her attention on the sky overhead. She could hear the squaks of ravens as she tilted her head to face the sun, hidden behind scattered clouds as they lazily drifted by.

Faint rays of sunlight rested on her skin, the gentle breeze slowly lulling her to sleep.

It'll rain soon...

quick a/n

sorry for the inactivity :') school is rlly kicking my ass rn but i got this