| 𝟬𝟰 |

✿

"This plant is used to make tea, those are my sweet flowers — Oh! and those berries over there taste lovely when baked into muffins.."

Xiao shifted on his feet awkwardly as she continued rambling on, walking over to a patch of vegetables.

How did it come to this?

The adeptus had been residing in Liyue for hundreds of years, roaming the land and fulfilling his contract to Rex Lapis. One would have thought he'd seen Liyue in its entirety — He too, thought he hadn't left a single inch unexplored.

Stumbling into Liyuen land untouched by his presence left him bothered, and he'd been drawn back to the forest out of curiosity.

He hadn't intended on getting caught up with the girl residing there, who had seen him and quickly welcomed him into her home, offering to show him around the unfamiliar area.

Now sitting on the steps of the front porch, Xiao studied the garden he'd just finished touring. The scattered flower beds, the multiple wind chimes that hung from the branches of shady trees — it brought back the same sense of serenity he'd experienced the day before when he'd woken up in her room.

"Truly amazing isn't it?"

He heard the door shut gently behind him as
Y/N joined him on the wooden floor, sitting beside him at a respectable distance. She had taken note of how he would stiffen whenever she overstepped his boundaries and tried to respect them as much as possible.

"The forest is here is so beautiful."

Xiao glanced down at the tray she had placed in between them; a pitcher filled with a liquid unknown to him, two glasses, and a plate of almond tofu.

His eyes lingered on the plate.

"Go ahead, I had some extra left over from yesterday."

He mumbled a small 'thank you' before taking it into his hands. Just as he was lifting the spoon to his lips, Odette hopped on to his lap, quickly getting comfortable.

Xiao stared down at the cat, brows furrowing in confusion, "What is it doing?"

Y/N laughed lightly, "She likes you. Try petting her."

He hesitantly ran a hand over her gray fur, flinching as Odette purred.

"Healing..?

"No, she's just happy."

He blinked.

"It's a cat thing," she gave him a small smile and lifted the pitcher from the tray, ice cubes clinking against the glass as she poured the liquid in.

"Would you like some iced tea?"

-✿-

It was late by the time he had decided to take his leave — the sun tainting the tuffs of clouds with its peachy, honeyed glow as dusk fell upon the land.

Originally, he had only been planning to look around and return to his daily routine, but he'd felt oddly drawn to the peacefulness of the abode and ended up spending the whole afternoon. Time seemed to be nonexistent when he was here and his mind felt calm.

Though he'd be lying if he said he wasn't also drawn to and curious about Y/N. He'd conversed with her more than any other mortal within the last hundred years; to be exact she'd speak and he would listen, occasionally asking questions or commenting on the matter.

Usually Xiao would be on guard and distant, after all, he wasn't too keen on interacting with mortals. Mostly because he didn't know how to. Though, he thought Y/N was a good person to learn from.

She had a way of breaking his dour demeanor with her gentle and carefree personality — chatting with him easily as if he were any other human. Her presence was tolerable to say the least.

She had insisted on seeing him off, and they now walked side by side underneath the honey dripping skies, paces in sync as they made their way along the trail.

"Thank you."

Xiao stopped walking, brows drawn together in confusion, "Why do you thank me mortal?"

She came to a stop in front of the stream, the corners of her mouth turned up in a sheepish grin, "Though I chose to live here, it gets a little lonely, so thank you for keeping me company today."

Xiao tsked as he shook his head, "I should be the one thanking you for welcoming me into your home."

"Xiao."

"Hm?"

She chuckled and whirled around to face him, e/c eyes twinkling in the soft rays of the setting sun that shone through the branches and leaves.

"You're welcome here anytime."