| 𝟬𝟱 |

✿

The adeptus had quickly grown accustomed to the young female, making it his duty to visit her every chance he got; typically during the afternoon or late hours of the morning.

Y/N was usually outside in the afternoon, tending to her garden and doing chores, so when he'd shown up one day and found her gone, a sinking feeling formed in the pit of his stomach.

After searching around the garden, he strode over to the front porch and lifted one of her countless flower pots off the wooden floors, grabbing the key hidden underneath.

She'd shown him where she kept it so he could let himself in.

Xiao carefully pushed the creaky door open only to be greeted by Odette sleeping on the other side, who startled awake upon his entry.

They stared at each other for a moment.

"Apologies."

'Meow'

He glanced around the silent cottage, the only sound being that of the soft wind chimes that swayed outside with the breeze.

It was a cozy home, the front entrance being the living room. Xiao quickly made his way to the kitchen, separated from the living area by a white shutter door.

Catching glimpse of a plate of almond tofu on the table, he lifted it up to find a slip of paper tucked underneath.

Hello Xiao,

I wasn't sure if you were visiting today,
but I left a note just to be safe.
I have a few errands at the harbor
and won't be back till evening. I've left
some almond tofu for you, I hope you
enjoy! Odette will keep you company
until then :)

- Y/N

He slowly sat down at the table, a slight frown on his lips as he pulled out a small cotton pouch from his pocket and emptied its contents on the table.

Xiao sorted through the starconches and small bits of crystal chunks he'd found while out patrolling — items he'd come across daily yet didn't pay any mind to until he'd met Y/N.

Picking up a shell, he turned it over in his hands carefully, pondering over whether or not the young female would actually appreciate them.

Earlier that day, he'd been sitting on the roof of Wangshu Inn when he saw two children on the balcony, one of which had gifted the other a seashell.

He watched as the child's face morphed into one of happiness, squealing and hugging the other.

"Thank you!!"

The gesture confused him — were mortals that easily pleased? Nonetheless, he thought maybe this would be a good way repay Y/N for her kindness.

After gathering the items and putting them back into the pouch, he tsked, confused as to why he felt agitated by her sudden absence. He shoved it into his pocket and began eating the dessert she'd left him.

Unbeknownst to him, he'd actually been looking forward to giving her the gift, the thought of her smile when she opened the pouch making his heart flutter lightly.

A feeling he hadn't experienced until now.

-✿-

What could it be?

Xiao squinted at the cat, confused as to what her intentions were.

After he finished the almond tofu, he'd observed as Odette trotted over to a window and fell asleep in the rays of sunlight that shone through the glass, waking up every time the sunlight drastically shifted, only to search for it again to fall asleep in its rays once more.

Why? What's the difference between sleeping there and anywhere else?

He blew out a frustrated breath as he watched Odette wake up and scamper to the window across the room, curling up into a ball as she had before.

"Is it a cat thing?" He wandered, thinking back to what Y/N would say. Standing abruptly, he stomped over to where Odette laid.

"Move," he shoved her aside lightly, ignoring her disgruntled meow as he laid down on the floor, shifting until he found a comfortable position.

Oh..