Chapter 28

Arielle's pov

"Isn't that like...wrong?" I ask Devon, my brow furrowed in confusion. I can't believe what he's telling me. A 7-year-old girl as a pet for Ryan's birthday? That seems so wrong on so many levels.

Devon looks at me with a sympathetic expression. "Not really," he says, his voice gentle. "Here in Ruenastia, no human under the age of 16 should be bought or sold. It's a recent law, made 2 or 3 years ago. Sadly, Ruenastia is the only kingdom adapted to this law. So in Dilavi, a 7-year-old pet isn't seen as a crime."

I shake my head in disbelief. "But how can that be right? This girl is just a child. She shouldn't be treated like an object or a toy."

"I understand your concern, Arielle," Devon says, resting his hand on my shoulder. "But Ryan isn't going to have sex with her or anything. He can't even take her blood, he's still too young. He doesn't know what a pet is, he'll probably just make her follow him everywhere and stuff. On the other hand, the girl will be given royal treatment along with the other royal pets. She'll have everything she could possibly want - clothes, food, toys, whatever she desires. So you see, everything will be okay."

I still feel uneasy about the whole situation. "But what about the girl's parents? Won't they be worried about her? Won't they miss her?"

Devon sighs. "In case you haven't noticed, vampires don't take what isn't given to them. If there's going to be a 7-year-old pet, she was either sold by her guardian or found deserted. Either way, we always go through the legal procedure and anyone caught doing otherwise will be punished. Take you for example," he says, looking at me pointedly. "Were you kidnapped?"

I look away, shame flooding my cheeks. "No, my parents gave me to you legally," I mumble.

Devon nods, a small smile on his lips. He walks over to the bed and lies down beside me. "Your birthday's next month, Arielle," he says, changing the subject.

I nod, my mind still preoccupied with thoughts of the young pet. "Yeah, I know. October 13th," I say absentmindedly.

"Yeah, I went through your files last night," Devon says, turning to face me. "You'll soon be 18."

I nod, a small smile on my lips. "Yup," I say, sitting up. "What do 18-year-olds do?"

Devon starts laughing. "Arielle, Ryan is 61 and he still looks like a 7-year-old. Imagine what an 18-year-old will look like."

I laugh along with him. "I still can't believe Ryan's older than me," I say, shaking my head in amazement.

"But seriously, what do you think 18-year-olds do?" Devon sits up, a curious look on his face.

"Well, looking at my stepsister," I say with a wry smile, "I guess it depends on the person. My sister was a little wild before 18."

"A little?" Devon raises an eyebrow.

"Okay, maybe a lot," I admit

"What do you want for your birthday?" Devon asks, a hint of excitement in his voice.

I think for a moment, trying to come up with something that I truly desire. "I actually don't know," I say finally. "Maybe a cupcake or something. Are you planning on getting me anything?"

Devon grins mischievously. "You'll just have to wait and see, Arielle," he says, refusing to give me a straight answer.

I roll my eyes playfully, but deep down I'm secretly hoping that Devon has something special planned for me. After all, my 18th birthday only comes around once.

~~~~~~~~~~

Megan's POV

"The Alpha's calling me. I have to go," Mason stands up from the bed.

"I think I'm going to tell my parents today," I say and Michael nods, trying to give me an encouraging smile.

"That's the best opt..." Michael starts but is interrupted by Mason.

"Shut up, you're only saying that because you know they'd reject me," Mason says, his voice dripping with sarcastic disbelief.

"Then what do you expect me to do, Mason? The sooner they know, the better. I think you should also inform the Alpha about it," I say, trying to reason with him.

Mason sighs and nods. "I'll try," he says before turning and walking out of the room, leaving Michael and me in silence.

"Michael..." I begin.

He looks at me, his eyes filled with concern. "Hmm?"

"I like you," I blurt out, the words tumbling out of my mouth before I can stop them.

He smiles, a hint of sadness in his eyes. "I know, Megan. I like you too."

But before I can respond, I feel a wave of guilt wash over me. "But we can't be together..." I say, shutting my eyes tightly.

"Why not?" Michael's voice breaks, the pain clear in his words.

I take a deep breath, trying to find the right words. "I have a mate now, Michael," I say softly. "What do you expect me to do?"

He reaches out and takes my hand, his grip firm and reassuring. "We can work this out, Megan," he says, his voice filled with determination. "I promise."

But I shake my head, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. "No, Michael. I...I love Mason," I say, the words tearing at my heart as I say them.

Michael's eyes widen in shock, and a frown crosses his face. "Are you confused or something?" he says, his voice laced with hurt. "You just said you like me and now..."

"Please go home, Michael," I say, my voice barely above a whisper.

He nods, and before I can say anything else, he disappears in a flash of light, teleporting out of my room.

I let out a sigh, feeling the weight of the world on my shoulders. How am I going to make this right?

***********************

UNKNOWN'S POV

"Oh poor you," I say mockingly. "Why don't you just give up on the girl already?"

Mason clenches his fists, his face contorted with anger and frustration. "And why don't you just give up on Arielle?" he says. "You're just obsessed with her, while I...well, let's just say my whole existence depends on Megan right now."

I chuckle, not expecting Mason to bring up Arielle as well. "October 13th is next month," I say. "Surely Devon's going to do something special for her on that day. But what do you care? You have your own mate to worry about."

Mason raises an eyebrow. "And what do you want me to do about that?" he asks.

"Anything," I say. "But first, I need to know what Devon's plan is."

Mason sighs. "I can't. I'm going back to the pack house after this," he says.

"Then how am I supposed to find out what he's planning?" I ask, trying to hide my frustration. "Do you suggest I ask Megan?" I give him a sweet smile, but he just glares at me.

"That won't be necessary, Just leave Megan out of this." Mason says. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go."

"Good. Now, get out," I say, dismissing him.

**********************

I'm so sorry 😭😭😭

But my workload is like 🤬🤬🤯🤯🤯🚮🚮

I even got my storyline mixed up at some point 😪