Chapter 5

Nico's POV

Honestly, it was hilarious.

Over the next couple of days, the three chaos warriors simply strolled around camp and the surrounding area, drinking in the familiarity and enjoying happy memories. Me and Luke had already had our chances at punching Nicolas, but now it was time for Ash's duel. Nicolas hadn't been present at capture the flag, so he hadn't seen Ash's powers, and still thought he could win.

LOL.

Me and Luke were now sitting around the stands of the arena with Adalind, as Chiron cantered in between the two warriors. Ash was in his impressive armour and creepy hood, Soulcleaver (Ψυχή αντιτορπιλικό) held ready in his right hand. Nicolas stood on the other side of the arena in his grubby camp t-shirt and scruffy trainers, his lank hair covering his right eye, which I knew bore the colours of a son of Kronos. He was surrounded by buckets of water that were supposed to help him in the battle, even though I knew he couldn't control the water as much as walk on it.

He was also holding a small bronze knife that I recognised as Annabeth's. Sure enough, looking to my left, I could see Annabeth cheering Nicolas on. I felt a rush of anger. Why was the camp supporting Nicolas when he murdered Ash and me?

I would read his mind later. (A new power I had just developed). For now, I focused on the battle that was about to begin.

Chiron began to speak, and his voice echoed over the now silent campers sitting in the stands.

"Warriors! You know the drill. No maiming or killing allowed, defeat or disarm your opponent, all powers allowed except flying for Aeschus here."

I knew Chiron thought that would make it a fair fight, even though I knew Ash could take on a hundred times the campers and the gods without breaking a sweat.

"You may begin."

The two fighters began to circle each other, and Ash was swinging soulcleaver in preparation. It looked very impressive and complicated, but I knew that Ash was just warming up.

Nicolas suddenly charged at Ash, his knife held close to his right ear, leaving his left side completely exposed. Ash dodged easily, and began to battle.

I knew Ash was holding back, using only basic moves, but Nicolas was struggling to block them as he swung Annabeth's knife wildly. Ash was slowly increasing in pace, and the look on his face under his enchanted hood was of pure boredom as he spun, hacked and twirled Soulcleaver with incredible skill. Though I had seen him battle many times, the sight of him fighting was always worth watching. I learnt something new every time I saw his technique.

Nicolas ended up just backing away, with his hands up. I thought he was surrendering, when he lunged down and grabbed a handful of sandy gravel from the floor of the arena, throwing it at Ash in an obvious attempt to blind him. Unfortunately for him, sight is considered a power by the rules of Chaos, and so Ash's 'son of the sea' powers caused a forcefield that stopped the dust from reaching him.

Nicolas paled, but then grinned. He spoke loudly and clearly, his british accent coming out strongly from behind the slight American that had snuck in after 500 years.

"Drop the sword and step away"

I knew at once that he was attempting to use charmspeak. His powers had obviously increased, as I was sure Ash had no 'strong desire' to drop his sword and run away like a frightened mouse.

However, his powers were obviously not strong enough yet, as Ash simply twitched, and smiled from under his hood.

"Drop the knife"