Chapter 20 - epilogue

Third person POV

Three months later

Percy and Lexi walked hand in hand through the fields of grazing Buglehorns. It had been a long time since they had just walked together, an even longer time since Lexi had visited Ariem. Her hand was shaking in Percy's, and he looked down at her in concern.

"Are you alright?" he asked, squeezing her hand gently.

"I'm... I'm terrified." she whispered, the wind catching her words before threading them through her long red hair and floating them away across the rippling grass.

"Hey, you'll be fine." Percy said, putting his arms around her and giving her a comforting hug.

"I know..." Lexi muttered into Percy's chest, gazing up at him. "But what if she hates me? What if she blames me?"

"She won't, don't worry." Percy replied, holding her a little tighter and kissing her forehead gently. "But if you keep worrying like this, we'll never get there."

"Right." she spoke reluctantly, her voice muffled as her head was buried in Percy's jumper. He had left his long cloak at home today, and had opted for a cozy sweater and jeans, with her choosing another one of Percy's jumpers and her own jeans. The jumper was so big for her that it hung over her hands, but she didn't seem to care, telling Percy that his were much warmer than hers and she knew Ariem's climate much better than him. What she didn't tell him was that the scent of his laundry wash on his clothes made her feel very peaceful, as though he was always with her, giving her the hugs that she loved so much. Which, of course, he was.

"Come on then." Percy said, leading her to the crest of the hill they had been climbing and gazing over the top of it.

Nestled in between two high hills was a city of little houses that stretched as far as the eye could see. The just rising sun cast the whole place in a warm glow, the chilly morning air contrasting heavily with the rays hitting the couples' faces as they gazed down into the valley.

Breaking the long, steady line of the horizon was a magnificent castle, at the very center of the city. Its walls were made of glimmering silver stones that shone in the weak sunlight.

Lexi cried out in delight, all nerves forgotten. She started sprinting down the hill, yelling "catch me if you can!" over her shoulder towards her boyfriend, playfully grinning before setting off again.

"Oh, it's on." Percy chuckled before racing after her.

***

Once they had reached the foot of the castle, Lexi looked up at the blonde guard that was standing outside the enourmous doors. He eyed them suspiciously as they drew closer, noting the fact that Percy's hair was dark and that his skin was a tanned olive instead of the usual tinted green of the Arishe. But then he caught sight of Lexi's long red hair and sprang to attention.

"Who is it that is meeting with the Queen please ma'am?" He said, straight-backed and looking directly in front of him, not daring to meet the gaze of royalty.

"Oh don't be silly, look at me." Lexi smiled. "I'm sure the Queen wouldn't make you do that either."

"Begging your pardon, your majesty." the guard said. "But what should I tell the queen?"

"Tell her that her sister, princess Lexi of Ariem, has returned and wishes to see her." Lexi said, her smile growing slightly. Percy could tell at once that she was rather enjoying calling herself 'princess' again.

The guard stared. "Of... of course, your majesty." And the doors into the castle swung open.

As soon as they stepped over the threshold, Percy was spellbound. The castle was beautiful, with enourmously high ceilings and dark oak floors. Lexi was so excited to be back home that she started jumping up and down.