Chapter 18

Percy's POV

I ran forward, catching Leo before he hit the ground. Staring down at him, I saw that his eyes were closed, but the lids were flickering slightly, and there was a pulse beating in his neck. He was still alive.

I spread my wings and took off without a word to the others, flying up over the camp until I could see the roof of the infirmary. Spiraling down to earth, I saw Will run out of the building to meet me. He was carrying bandages and was obviously in the middle of treating the injured from the battle.

"Who is it this time?" he asked, worried. I set Leo down carefully onto the grass and Will stared at him, shocked.

"He's... he's still alive?" Will asked in disbelief, staring at Leo like he was some sort of miracle.

"Yes, but only just." I answered, trying to bring Will back to the fact that Leo needed taking care of.

"Oh, right."

Together, we lifted Leo into the infirmary and onto a bed, making sure his arms and legs weren't trapped and that he would be in comfort when he woke up.

If he woke up...

Stop it! That's not the attitude to have. He'll be alright, he'll be alright...

I could hear the steady beating of his heart under his dirty, stained shirt. He was definitely still alive, but why was he as cold as ice? It was as though the usual fire simmering ever-bright under his skin had gone out.

Just then, there was a hurrying of footsteps outside and Nyssa burst into the room.

"Look at this!" She said. She was holding a huge metal cylinder filled with some orange, swirling substance.

"It's a fire gun! It shoots..."

"Fire, we get it." said Will, quickly removing it from Nyssa's grasp and putting it in the corner. "Not in here, please."

But then, Nyssa caught sight of Leo lying on the bed.

"What happened? I thought we were safe!" She cried, rushing over to Leo's bed, her fiery brown eyes scanning his unconscious state and taking in his position.

"Don't worry Nyssa, he's still alive." I said comfortingly, and her head snapped around.

"What? Oh thank God!" She said, looking back at Leo with obvious relief in her expression. 

"But, how?"

 "I have no idea." I said, glad that she had voiced the question that I'd been thinking myself. "Do you have any ideas?"

Nyssa shook her head, but then looked up, suddenly excited.

"I bet it's because of his fire powers!"

When me and Will looked at her curiously, (well, she could only see Will's face, but anyway), she sighed huffily and I was reminded slightly of Lexi.

"Only super powerful people survive, right?" She said exasperatedly. "Leo has extra-ordinary powers, even for a demigod. Maybe that's why he's alive. Maybe it's protecting him."

I thought about this theory. I guess it made sense, in a weird way. But there was one problem with it.

"Wait a second... If Leo's fire is protecting him, then why is he so cold?"

Before Nyssa could answer, the sound of many footsteps clattering outside made us look up.

Lexi, Luke and Nico burst through the door, looks of worry on their faces. Lexi was wearing a sleeping Adalind around her neck. The dragon looked very content, despite the fact that her scales were reflection my own dark blue misery.